8

Aaron watches as Kate seems to slowly fall apart. He needs to finish talking to Dustin so he can comfort Kate. As soon as he can he hangs up. Shortly after that he receives the account information and sends the money to Dustin.

As soon as that is finished he breathes out a sigh. Soon it will be over and Kevin will be avenged, and in small part so will Kate. He still doesn't understand why Kevin did that to her.

Aaron knocks on the door, "I would offer my shoulder to cry on, but I'm not sure you would want me that close." At the look Kate is giving him he sighs once more. "I won't come any nearer than here until your food is ready. Then I'll bring it to you and leave. There is a remote in the drawer and a dvd selection in the cabinet under the television. You are also allowed to select whatever you wish on pay-per-view. I have a decent sized book selection, even romances, in the room two doors down. There's a stereo system just open the panel here and select what you want.

"The bathroom is behind that door there. If you decide to shower just be careful of your stitches."

Aaron hesitates wanting to say more, but isn't sure what more he can say to ease Kate. "I placed your gun in the drawer next to you. It has a full clip.

"Once I get word that the last of my traitors is dead you will be free to go, if you wish. You are welcome to stay for as long as you want, so just know there is no hurry.

"You were right, your brother was more than happy to take the contracts. I had to force him to take my money for them."

"Why?" Kate asks looking at him intently.

Aaron smirks, "You'll need to be a little less vague in your question, Kate."

"Why did you force him to take your money?" Kate huffs.

Aaron loses his smirk. "You are more than a little aware of how this life works. By him taking my money it's protection for him."

Kate opens her eyes wide, "You are protecting him. Why?"

"You need him. I need the traitors dead and I'm not in a position to deal with them currently. This way he gets to do what he wants and I get what I need and he will remain happy." Aaron tells her but lets some emotion in his voice that Kate can't decipher.

"Again, why? No, never mind, I think I can figure it out. But why are you offering me your home like this?"

"It's my fault you are injured. If it hadn't of been for me you would be gone by now. You've been injured enough by the Fire birds, you didn't need more. Heal up and take your time on your next move. If you wish to return to your brother I will return you to him. If you wish to go elsewhere I will drop you off where ever you wish and disappear from your life.

"You saved my life, Miss Kerrington, and in return you received harm. I owe you a great deal and giving you shelter is little enough to offer." He gives Kate a small smile then leaves the room.

Kate looks at the door long after he left.

Aaron is very different from Kevin. She feels safe with him, even though she knows that she shouldn't. Just what should she do? 

Her eyes feel heavy and she's just starting to doze off when she is startled awake with Aaron returning with a tray of food.

He sets it down on the table at her bedside. "Do you wish to eat in bed or over on the couch?"

"I think it would be better on the couch, but I'm not sure I'll make it-" Kate is cut off when Aaron picks her up and rapidly walks over to the couch and gently sets her down. He gets her tray and sets it on the table in front of her.