Try

Astrid wasn't one of those girls who needed approval. She didn't dress for anyone but herself, and she certainly didn't act a certain way for anyone. She was Astrid, that was the only way to describe her. But, something was wrong. She had changed. Now, Astrid always wore a dress and heels and she never hung out with Hiccup anymore. This was weird, as everyone knew who Hiccup and Astrid were. They were the best of friends, and no one suspected what was going to happen, not even Hiccup.

"I can't believe she did this," Snotlout whined. He, Fishlegs, Ruff, Tuff, Heather and Hiccup were all sitting at a table in the school cafeteria. It had been a few weeks since Astrid left the group to hang out with the popular crowd, and no one liked it. 

"Why would she sit over there when she could have stayed here and had all this," Snotlout smirked, gesturing to himself. 

"That was probably the reason," Heather replied coolly. Everyone shared a chuckle, something they hadn't done in a while. Everyone but Hiccup. He sat there, head in a notebook, auburn bangs covering his emerald green eyes. It looked as if he hadn't slept in weeks, which was probably the case. 

Heather and Fishlegs shared a worried glance, both concerned about their friend. 

"Hey, Earth to Hiccup." That was Tuffnut. He was waving his hand in front of Hiccup's face, trying, and failing, to gain his attention. 

"I think he's broken," Ruffnut replied. She shared a cheeky look with her brother. They knew just what to do. 

"THORSTON HUG!!!" They both yelled, jumping from their seats and running to Hiccup's side. Two sets of wiry arms wrapped around his small frame, leaning closer into him. Hiccup barely looked up from his notebook, lost in concentration at what he was writing. 

"Something must be really wrong with him," Tuffnut sighed, unravelling his arms from Hiccup. 

"I know," Ruffnut replied, walking back to her seat next to her brother. "He normally jumps 5 feet in the air when we yell that." 

The table of friends fell into an uncomfortable silence, no one really knowing what to say. What could they say? They were all hit hard when Astrid declared that she wasn't going to be friends with them anymore, but they knew that it had hit Hiccup the hardest. He had been her best friend, with hopes of something more. 

"I'm sick and tired of you being all sad and mopey," Snotlout sighed exasperatedly. He quickly jumped out of his seat and reached over the table to wrap his hands around Hiccup's notebook, pulling it away. Hiccup's eyes quickly looked up, to see Snotlout quickly reading his writing. 

"H-hey!," he stammered, only just realising what was happening. "Don't read that, it's private."

"Looks like Hiccy-boo has a crush on someone," Snotlout snickered after reading Hiccup's work. "I wonder who the UNlucky lady is." 

Everyone mentally slapped their foreheads at his foolishness. He was the only one who didn't know of Hiccup's crush on Astrid. It was probably better that way. 

"I-Its not what you think," Hiccup protested. 

"Really," Ruffnut said, reading over the chuckling shape of Snotlout. "It looks like a love letter to me."

Fishlegs and Heather read it next, both looking at each other once they finished.  

Snotlout couldn't stop chuckling. 

"How does this not sound like a sappy love poem," He sneered, then began reading the poem. 

"You don't have to try try try  

You don't have to try try try