tears

"it's been okay," delia said, smiling to the doctor. "i see you've been using your phone more often, did you make a friend?" the doctor asked.

"i did actually," delia said, getting up with all the tubes around her. "she's very nice." "oh, a girl! she must be very nice, then?" the doctor said. "she is, and her name's mina," delia said, a daydreamed look on her face.

"now, we have to take a few tests," the doctor said. "remember how many days you have left in the hospital?" "yes, and then i get to go home," delia said. "five more days to go." "yep, now, there," the doctor said. "i'll come back with the results."

delia nods her head.

delia's parents entered the room after the doctor left.

"how are you delia?" her mother asked. "i'm fine mom," delia assured. "god, why did it have to be you?" her mother cried. "mom, i'll be fine, i actually ate today," delia smiled at her mother. "why did you?" her mother asked. "i'll answer that later in life, mom," delia said.

her mother gets up to her father. "dad, i'm sorry," delia said. "mom, i'm sorry, too." "don't be sorry, just stay," her mother said.

"you know i'll try," delia said.

the doctor came back with the results.

"well, you are certainly gaining weight, which is a good thing," he said. "it means our strategy is working." delia's mother's face was filled with hope. "she'll heal?" her mother asked. "that's if she will want to help herself," the doctor said.

"i will," delia lied.

her parents and the doctor smiled at her words.

on the inside, she was crying. she lied to the people who were trying to help her.