A Fateful Death

The day seemed to be as good as the previous few weeks; sunny, warm but depressing with Dumbledore's death still occupying the mind of the students. The Marauders were walking towards the Black Lake. They were about to sit under the oak tree, when they notice a familiar figure already sitting under it. James and Sirius were about to go and push him away, but was stopped by Remus.

"Let him be. We really should have listened to him and left him alone." Remus said pressing his lips together.

They started walking away to a distant place, where they couldn't see him.

"Dobby," they heard Harry call behind them. They stopped at once hearing the name.

The elf popped up with a sound. "How can Dobby help Harry Potter, sir?" the elf asked.

They saw Harry smile politely at the elf. "Are you busy right now?" he asked.

"No, Harry Potter, sir. I'm always free for Harry Potter." the elf said shaking his head frantically.

Harry smiled again. "Then, I'd like to talk to you for a minute, Dobby. It's very important." He saw the elf looking at him with wide eyes, ready to listen to whatever he had to say. "But before that, I have a gift for you. I'd like you to close your eyes first." Harry said.

The elf tilted his head and frowned. After a second of contemplating, he closed his eyes.

The Marauders watched as Harry swished his wand and conjured a set of tiny t-shirt and pants. He slowly hung the clothes on Dobby's little shoulder. "You can open your eyes now." They heard Harry say.

"Why is he freeing the elf?" Peter asked confused.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Peter we are standing just beside you. Do you think that we have got an inner eye?" he asked annoyed at the stupid question.

"Harry Potter freed Dobby?" the elf asked bewildered. His eyes were filled with tears. "Harry Potter does not like Dobby." He stated while looking at his feet. Tears were rolling down his cheeks.

"Oh no, Dobby; I love you. You are a very good elf." Harry said shaking his head.

"Then why did Harry Potter free Dobby?" he asked with wide eyes.

"That is what I need to tell you. Listen to me very carefully. Today, I'll be going for a job of mine from where—I—won't return. I need you to go to Remus Lupin and ask him to be your master and bond with you. I'm sure he'll take as good care of you as I do. But somehow, if he refuses, then you know where to stay; you can always stay at Hogwarts and work in the kitchen." He explained. His voice sounded a bit hoarse.

"What does he mean that he won't return?" Remus muttered under his breath.

"Why should we care, let him do whatever he wants to. We just need to make sure that he doesn't cause any danger to Hogwarts." Sirius said matter-of-factly.

"No," Peter spoke up. They all turned to him with a surprised look.

"What?" James asked.

"Even if you don't, I care. I care for Harry. He was the one to make me as eligible as you are today. He helped me build my confidence. And why only me; Sirius I think you are forgetting that it was Harry who talked Regulus out of his trance of his prejudice. He was the one who gave a family member back to you. Even Bellatrix talks to you civilly now. And Remus, he was always there with us when you went through your transformation. He was never obliged to come. But he did. And those rings—he is an orphan, but he still managed to get those beautiful rings for you. How can you say that he doesn't care for us? He has helped every one of us one or the other way." Peter said heatedly.