» | left in the wake

CHAPTER ONE — LEFT IN THE WAKE

"DO YOU HAVE TO GO?" June asked her fiancé, worry and doubt staining her chocolate hues

"DO YOU HAVE TO GO?" June asked her fiancé, worry and doubt staining her chocolate hues. She rested one of her small hands on his clothed bicep, as if that could change his mind.

An exasperated sigh left her fiancé's lips as he looked down her. Closing the front door, James turned and faced her. He lifted his large hand, resting it on the small of June's back. A small smile touched his face. The same smile that used to make june weak at the knees – hell, it still did.

"Yes, I do." James said, lifting the thumb of his free hand to brush her cheek. "I'm the only one who works, June. We have to pay these bills somehow." June felt heat rush to her face from embarrassment, as she quickly averted her eyes from her lover's intimidating stare.

"I told you, I don't mind working to pay –"

James quickly cut her off. "Baby, no fiancé of mine is going to get her pretty little hands dirty while I'm here," he said, chuckling. "I promised I would take care of you, didn't I?"

June nodded slowly. "But a flight all the way to Las Vegas –"

James swiftly placed his lips on hers, effectively quieting her. He sucked on her bottom lip, pulling her slender body close to his built one. He grinded his pelvis against hers, making a surprised gasp leave the petite woman. His tongue invaded her mouth, without a doubt dominating the wet cavern. He smirked into the kiss before pulling away, a string of saliva separating them.

"No buts." He said simply. "When I come back, we'll finish this okay?" His deep voice went in on of June's ear and out the other. She couldn't believe he really kissed her so passionately only to shut her up. Not that she didn't like the kiss, evident of her heated face.

She cleared her throat, nodding wordlessly.

Jame's smirk widened as he grabbed he luggage and opened the door. The cool August weather blowing inside the apartment.