epilogue.

Madison's POV

What the fuck was I doing?

I got in my car and looked into the tiny mirror to see if I looked okay.

I didn't, but whatever.

I drove silently to the place that was listed in the text.

My nerves were shown clearly everywhere. My hands shaking, my eyes watering, my body sweating.

But why was I doing this?

because I still loved him.

I pulled into the driveway of the small local diner and opened my phone to re read the text message.

Ethan: hey. i don't know if you'll come, but i need to talk to you. i need to explain what happened. meet me at Burens Diner @ 3:30 tomorrow. it's the only way you will get closure.

It's been almost two years since I have spoken to the devil himself, but each day I wonder how he could have let me go so easily.

I walked into the diner and immediately saw him. He looked more grown up, more masculine, more put together.

He looked hot.

I made my way to his booth, my nerves showing more than they did only 5 minutes ago.

I didn't smile at him, I didn't hug him, I just slid into the opposite side of the booths and waited for him to say something.

"You came." he said surprisingly.

His voice that I hadn't heard in two years almost made my eyes water.

"I did." I spoke sharply.

"I guess I should get into the explaining." he said.

I shot him a look as if to say- go the fuck ahead.

"I loved you, Madison." he said softly.

"Cut the bullshit Dolan. Tell me the fucking truth. I didn't come here for more lies."

"Just let me finish. I did love you, so so much. Everything I said to you while we were together was truthful. I loved everything about you. That night, at prom, nothing bad was supposed to happen. We were supposed to have a normal prom like a normal couple."

"But we didn't." I cut him off again.

"I know. This is going to come off strong. God- I don't even know how to say it. A week before that night, I was diagnosed with cancer. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you. Thankfully, I beat cancer by now, but at that point in my life, I was really low."

"I tried to hide it so much for you, and I did a good job at it. But that night of prom, I could feel the cancer taking over. I didn't know if I would survive. I didn't wait you to have to go through the heartbreak if I died, so I needed you to leave me."

"Of course, if I told you to leave me, you would ask me why. So I cheated on you. I cheated on you with a kiss that meant nothing to me. I just needed you out of my life so I could spare your heart of my death. I broke up with you harshly, and I should have done it in a better way. I know. But I didn't know how to proceed without tell you I was doing what was best for you."

"This doesn't justify my actions, but I'm just trying to give you an explanation to why I did what I did. I loved you Madison, and I still do. I'm not asking for forgiveness, but each night I still pray that you will forgive me. Somehow."

"I- I don't know how to feel." I simply responded.

"That's okay. All I wanted to give you was closure. You don't have to respond. But I can give you a choice. We can leave right now and act like nothing ever happened, or we can stay and talk more. Maybe you'd forgive me."

I debated it in my mind. I really did. I wanted to know more, but the pain he caused me was so overwhelming.

So I got up. I slid out of the booth. I walked out of the diner. I got into my car.

Never to see Ethan Dolan again.