Chapter 2: Jane Foster, Erik Selvig and a Magic Hammer

I watched as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s vehicles surrounded the make-shift lab. Agents were scurrying all over the place, moving scientific equipment and evidence left and right. The stronger men and women hauled the heavier looking equipment into the waiting vans, whilst others stripped all of the photographs from corkboards and removed them from the lab. A few people were sent to a nearby trailer to recover any other notebooks or documents.

Obviously, I felt bad. This was the entire life's work of these scientists, and Director Fury decided to simply erase it all. Of course, it was for the good of the planet. Probably. I just hoped that we would be done before they returned. I didn't want to have to face them.

"What the hell is going on here?!"

It turns out the day wasn't in my favour.

"Ms Foster, I'm agent Y/L/N with the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, otherwise known as S.H.I.E.L.D."

I couldn't help but notice the frown on Dr Selvig's face. He must have recognised the name and, judging by the look he was giving me, he mustn't be a fan.

"I don't care who you work for, you can't do this!"

My attention was returned to Jane Foster as she shouted at me.

"Jane, this is more serious than you realise. Let it go," interrupted Selvig. I gave him a polite smile.

"Let it go?! This is my life!"

I sighed, exasperated. 

"We're here investigating a security threat. We need to appropriate your equipment and all your atmospheric data," I replied.

"By 'appropriate' you mean 'steal'?" Jane was absolutely livid. Honestly, I couldn't blame her.

"This should more than compensate for your trouble," I said, ignoring the pang in my chest at her heartbroken gaze. I handed her a check, but she threw it to the ground without looking at it.

"I can't just pick up replacements from RadioShack! I made most of that equipment myself!"

I knew that I had to put my foot down, so I mustered up my best poker face and gave her a tight smile.

"Then I'm sure you can do it again."

"And I'm sure I can sue you for violating my constitutional rights!" she yelled, clearly frustrated.

"We're the good guys, Ms Foster," I replied. I tried to walk away, but she blocked my path.

"So are we! We're on the verge of understanding something extraordinary," she pleaded, holding up a notebook. "Everything I know about this phenomenon is in this lab and in this book, and no one has the right to take it from me."

I gestured to one of the agents walking past, and he plucked it right out of her hands. She simply looked at me, stunned, as the agent tossed it into the van.

"Thank you for your cooperation," I said, before climbing into a car and driving away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I had returned to the temporary base, I immediately sought out agent Coulson.

"Y/N, how can I help you?"

I paused, unsure of how to respond. 

"You need to tell me why we're here," I finally managed. "We've taken all of this equipment from some scientists for no apparent reason. And, of course, let's not forget the hammer that no one can lift that we're guarding. I need answers, Coulson. I know you have them."

He scanned my face for a moment, as if to determine whether or not I was ready to hear this information, before giving in with a sigh.

"We believe that this hammer may be from... another world, so to speak. The scientists you encountered had information that we needed to confirm our suspicions."

I looked at him, stunned.

"And?" I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"We don't know yet," he groaned. 

"Do you need anything?" I asked tentatively. He seemed incredibly frustrated and fatigued. "If there's something I can do, I'll do it." 

"You could spend some more time in training. We could be up against an otherworldly threat."

"No offence Coulson, but how am I supposed to stop an otherworldly threat?"

"With your abilities, of course. I didn't expect you to annoy them to death," he smiled.

I gasped, surprised that I'd forgotten.

"Sorry," I rubbed my neck sheepishly. "Sometimes I forget."

"I'd suggest you get a move on, then. Goodbye, agent Y/L/N."

"Sir," you said, before turning on your heel and exiting his office.