Chapter Two

Percy was having a normal day.

The operative word being was.

And also Percy.

Because Percy Jackson's normal is very different than everyone else's normal.

That being said, yeah. Percy was having a normal day.

It was a Friday, so it was actually pretty great. He woke up and ate breakfast without getting attacked, he hung out with Annabeth and managed to get to his activities while only being minimally attacked, and then got to participate in Capture the Flag.

(While being a lot attacked)

(Like, actually a lot)

(So much so that proper grammar can't even explain it)

He had teamed up with the Athena Cabin, Hephaestus Cabin and the Hermes Cabin against the rest of the camp. Particularly since with Annabeth's strategy, Leo's traps and the stealth and tricks of Travis and Connor, their lack of size didn't even matter.

Plus, they had Percy.

(Connor's words, not his)

Another good thing was that they had Chris Rodriguez to neutralize their biggest opponent, Clarisse.

And no, that was not saying Clarisse would go easy on him since he was her boyfriend. If anything the daughter of Ares was more competitive around people she actually liked. Which they could also use against her.

"What!" Chris had squeaked, "I love her, guys, seriously, but I don't want to die today."

"Clarisse is strong," Annabeth reasoned to him, "But she's also smart. Which means she knows she can't best us in strategy. She'll think we're trying to use you as a distraction, which means she won't go after you herself. But she also wants to guarantee that you are taken out, because you're one of our better fighters. She'll send multiple people and up the security to the Flag."

"But Annabeth," Percy had argued, "Isn't that not what we want? This is just a big series of hypotheticals that, in the end, don't get us any closer to that dumb red fabric than we were."

"No," Leo said, slowly beginning to understand, "I get it. Annabeth wants to dupe her into thinking that Chris actually is the siege. When Clarisse gets outwitted, she goes on a rampage. So all we have to do is pretend that she was tricked.

"As soon as those multiple people surround Chris, ambush. The rest of the Hermes Cabin takes them out easily and continues to the Flag until Clarisse can't help but want to fight them off herself. She'll leave a couple of people around Pile of Poop-"

"Zeus's Fist," Annabeth corrected him.

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that." Leo continued as if he'd never stopped. "Who aren't as great at fighting as she is because she knows that we need a defense and an offense and she has more players. Then Percy swoops in in all his macho hero glory and gets the win."

"I'm with my bro Percy," Travis interrupted skeptically, "This is all a bunch of hypotheticals."

"You're by yourself now, Travis," Percy had snickered, "I don't doubt Annabeth. And also, I've known Clarisse for five years. Annabeth's known her for double that. Sounds like the La Rue I know."

"Alright then," Chris sighed, "I guess we're doing this."

Everything had gone according to plan, as expected.

Annabeth being right was the last occurrence of the entire day that Percy considered 'normal.'

It wasn't until there was an entire wall of warriors approaching from the east that Clarisse was drawn off, leaving two people at the flag, both from the Demeter Cabin.