Chapter Seven

This is what happened when I was doing research for my book last September. Thank you Google.

"Will, I'm going to do it."

"Get back, Percy!" He warned, "It's not safe! You'll get hurt."

"This is something I need to do. What's the point of having this power unless I do something with it?"

"But why this? There are bigger things at stake here then just you, you know."

"You're really against this, huh?"

"I am."

"Fine," Percy pouted, "Then I'll just ask Tug!"

He turned to the Ranger horse, a huge grin on his face. There was a beat of silence before Percy's jaw fell open.

"Did you literally just ask me what's the password?"

Will smirked, waving a hand toward his horse. "Normally I would let someone just get on Tug without warning them because it's fun to watch them fly. And because Halt got me the first time. But Percy, we really can't afford any injuries right now. We really do have to deal with Tartarus and the prophecy."

"Well yeah," Percy agreed, "But we don't know anything yet. We have no objective. That prophecy was more vague than usual. And until then, I'm going to ride your horse."

Tug snorted, turning to Will and saying, Are we really going to deal with this kid?

The boy just gave him an exasperated shrug and small smile, running his hand through his hair. Percy swatted his shoulder for that.

"Will!" He whined, "You shouldn't let Tug be so mean!"

"You let Blackjack sass you," Will pointed out, chuckling, "Boss."

"Okay, I don't let him," Percy groaned, "And don't call me boss."

"Go ahead, try and get on Tug if you want," Will sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "But if you break a bone when you fall on the ground that is not my fault."

As Percy approached, Tug leveled him with a dark look that rivaled Nico's glares. Percy returned it with one of Will Solace's signature You love me and I'm adorable so you can't murder me beams.

"Play nice, Tug," Percy said soothingly, "I'm the son of Poseidon. Horses love me."

That doesn't mean I want you taking me for a lap around Camp.

Will had to slap a hand over his mouth to stop the laughter from escaping.

When he was sure he could speak without his voice cracking he called out to Percy, who was currently being swung around like his very presence was burning Tug, "Do you want the password? It might come in handy in the future."

"No!" Percy yelled back, "I am going to win him over with my natural grace and charm."

The heap he landed in as Tug finally accomplished his goal was severely lacking in both grace and charm.

Percy groaned, flopping onto his back. "That pony o' yours is really something, Will."

"Horse," the Ranger corrected immediately, "And yes. He really is."

"What are you going to do when he can't buck like that anymore?"

"He goes back to Old Bob and I get another horse from the same bloodline."

"Ooh," Percy grinned, rolling over to prop his head in his hands, "What would you name your new horse? Pull? Grab?"

"No," Will deadpanned, giving Percy an unimpressed look, "Those are terrible horse names. Push or Shove are much better."