Chapter 19

Logan and Rory rode in the back of a black limousine as Frank drove them to the Gilmore's house. Logan held her hand, but was quiet for most of the drive. 

Finally, Rory spoke, "What was the proposition you mentioned?"  Rory was nervous about his answer, but couldn't take the wondering anymore.  She suspected Logan was going to ask her to marry him again.  She knew she would say yes this time.

Logan hesitated before he answered.  "It was about work. You may not like to hear it, but my father actually suggested the idea. I know your feelings about him.  But I hope you can see he has changed and he does recognize your talent.  We don't have all the details quite yet, but we want to offer you an editor/special features writer position.  It would be more an office type job than an in-the-field type reporting job. With your people skills and writing abilities, I really feel we can cater it specifically to your talents.  Of course you would have input too," Logan explained.

"Oh...I see... that sounds interesting.  I would be willing to discuss that.  Where would it be based?" she asked. 

As he looked at her, he was surprised to see a flash of disappointment on her face.  His heart swelled as he knew what she was thinking. "Rory, we both know what you thought I was going to propose. Trust me, it is on my mind and has been on my mind a lot. And I will be completely honest with you, I plan to ask again.  But I want you to be where you want to be in your career before I ask you to share your life with me.  And, just to set your mind at ease, I am not giving you this job offer to speed your career so I get what I want faster.  My father and I both agree you are perfect for this position and have earned it.  Our professional and personal lives are separate.  I know that is important to you."

Rory swallowed, surprised yet not surprised at all that he knew her so well.  She smiled at him and confessed, "Thank you, Logan. I did think you would ask me to marry you again.  And I already knew I wouldn't need any time to think this time."

Logan grinned and brought her hand to his lips, kissing her fingers, "I want everything to be perfect this time around. I am willing to wait until it is," Then he pulled her to his side and held her close the rest of the drive.

They arrived at Emily and Richard's house a short time later.  Rory and Logan walked to the front door and could already hear voices inside.  "Emily, perhaps they hit some traffic on the drive.  Or perhaps Logan had to take a business call that delayed them.  I am certain there is a perfectly reasonable explanation," Richard's voice came through the door.

"When one says 7 0'clock, it is assumed all parties will be present at 7 o'clock,"  Emily said.

"Maybe they got a better offer," Lorelai chimed in.  "Or maybe they thought you would be serving those weird little chickens again and stopped at McDonald's."

Luke groaned, "Why do you insist on antagonizing your mother like this?"

Rory just glanced at Logan who winked at her before she rang the doorbell.  A maid Rory didn't recognize answered the door almost immediately.  "Ms Gilmore, Mr Huntzberger, please come in.  Your Grandmother is expecting you, Ms Gilmore.  May I take your jackets?"

Rory took off her shawl as Emily rushed into the foyer.  "Rory! Logan!  It is so wonderful to see you both.  Come in, come in."

"Nice to see you again, Emily.  Thank you for inviting us," Logan said.

"I'm sorry we are late, Grandma.  We, uh, hit some traffic on the drive,"  Rory hastily said.

"Oh, don't you trouble yourself about that.  It doesn't matter at all!  We are just so happy to see you!"  Emily said as Lorelai rolled her eyes behind her mother.

"Hey kid,"  she said as she hugged Rory tight. "Ten more minutes and she would have had helicopters and horses looking for you," she whispered.

Emily stood impatiently and urged everyone into the living room.  "Come now, it's not proper to entertain guests in the foyer.  Let's go to the living room and have a drink.  Logan, Rory, what can I get you?"

"I will see to the drinks, Emily,"  Richard said as they entered the living room. "Rory, Logan, welcome," he said as he hugged Rory and shook Logan's hand.

"Hey Luke,"  Rory said as she went over to hug him.  "You remember Logan, right?"

Luke shook Logan's hand," Sure, sure, good to see you again, Logan." Then he hugged Rory, "Rory, you look great. We miss having you around."

Richard stepped over and handed Logan a drink, "I took the liberty of pouring you a scotch, Logan.  If I recall, you were a scotch man the last I saw you.  Rory, your mother and grandmother are having martinis.  I poured you one, but I could get you something else if you prefer."

"This is perfect, Richard.  Thank you," Logan said.

"Yes, Grandpa, a martini is just fine," Rory said.

Emily and Richard settled into the large armchairs in the room.  Luke, Lorelai, and Rory sat on the loveseat.  Logan sat on a side chair near Rory.  He leaned in her direction in the chair and reached for her hand.  As he held her hand, he slowly rubbed his thumb along her wrist.

"So, tell us all about your travels.  It must be so exciting being on the road and meeting so many important people,"  Emily said.

"Yes, do tell...was Elvis in the building?" Lorelai chimed in.

"Lorelai..." Emily said as she gave Lorelai a look.

"I think Elvis lived in Memphis, not Nashville," Luke said.

"But it was still Tennessee.  I am sure he traveled," Logan contributed.

"I enjoy some Elvis on occasion.  I believe I may have a few of The King's records," Richard added.

Emily looked exasperated.  "Tell us about Mrs. Biden," she said, trying to change the topic to a more dignified conversation.

Rory and Logan then told all about the two debates so far and the buyout of Hugo's company.  They told stories of their friends and the places they had been so far.  Lorelai watched Rory and Logan as they told their tales.  She took note of how they finished each other's sentences and just generally seemed very in sync with each other. She also noticed how they seemed to always be in physical contact with each other.

"Dinner is ready, Mrs. Gilmore,"  the maid announced. 

"Alright everyone, shall we move this party into the dining room?" Emily said as she prompted everyone to get up and switch rooms.

"Smells great, Emily," Luke said as he and Richard walked toward the dining room.

"I think I am going to wash my hands before I sit down, Grandma.  I'll only be a minute," Rory said.

"I think I will join you," Lorelai said as she linked arms with Rory.

Emily gave them a pointed look and said, "Hurry along, girls."  Then to Logan she asked, "Will you escort me to to the dining room?"