ii

love like this ashton kutcher

"Why are we still here, Ashton? Huh?" Tara asks, leaning the vast, marble counter of the kitchen.

"Because...I love you, Tara. I always have."

"I don't doubt that. But there've been times that I have. Let me jog your memory," Ashton turns from the sink to face Tara, crossing his arms over his chest, cocking his eyebrow.

"What about when we were twenty three, and from the time we were eighteen, you couldn't shut up about how much you wanted to marry me, making me feel like the most important and beautiful girl in the world. Then, one day after work, you tell me I'm not what you want anymore. Meanwhile, you had been fucking someone behind my back for God knows how long. Do you have any idea how much that fucked with my head? Yet, I let you shove me around, be so rough in bed with me that I could hardly walk the next day just so you could 'get your anger out'. I dealt with all of that bullshit for over a decade. I'm thirty-eight, I'm tired. I can't deny I still love you, but I'm not in love with you anymore, Ash. That flame burned out a long time ago." She swallows, feeling a small weight lift off her shoulders. She's really never stood up to him before, but he just stands there with nothing to say. Tara continues.

"You know, you used to be so romantic. Bring me flowers at work, do the laundry and dishes without me asking, make candlelit dinners for us, take me shopping, kiss me even when we were in a crowd of people, but you held me like no one was watching. That shit really made me feel good...really made me feel like you wanted me and wanted to be with me. You bought this big ass house, made sure the kids and I had everything we could possibly want and need. What happe-"

"That isn't me anymore, okay?!" He shouts, knocking a glass off the counter, sending it tumbling to the hardwood floor, where it proceeds to shatter into a million pieces. His jaws are clenched together, his strong hands flexing in and out of fists. Tara takes a deep breath, holding it, anticipating what he'd do next.

"I've given you so many second chances...I can only give so much." She whispers, clasping her hands onto the counter.

"Why did you lie to your Dad? You know it isn't finalized for another four weeks."

"I-I don't know..."

"Exactly. Because you never know anything and you just think you can do whatever the fuck you want."

"Oh, please. Like you're smarter than me? You're just a country boy that barely graduated from grade school, whereas I went to Dartmouth." She knew what she was risking by running her mouth. It was also petty of her, and she knew it.

"Oh, go ahead and shove that in my face, why don't you. I worked my ass off to provide for this family. I got you this big house, I put a hundred thousand dollar ring on your finger, didn't I? What else do you want from me?"

"I want you to show me that you care and that you love me. You used to be so good at that, but as soon as we had Ryder, that was all over."

A few minutes of silence are shared between them.

"What if we...held off on the divorce..." Ashton suggests in a hushed tone, looking down at the floor, scuffing his shoes against it slightly. Tara holds back a shout of utter anger, clenching her hands into fists before releasing them, wiping the palms on her pants.

"Why on earth would we do that, Ashton?"

"Don't you get it? I love you. I'm in love with you, so fucking hopelessly in love with you it makes me sick." That declaration makes Tara draws in a breath rapidly, holding it while she puffs out her chest a little bit. Tears prick her eyes. He steps over, putting his hands on her cheeks, and his skin is warm on hers. He looks down into her eyes, his expression soft, and he leans in slowly, putting his lips on Tara's.

She can't help but melt into his kiss and touch, letting Ashton push her against the stainless steel refrigerator, picking Tara up by her thighs, and she wraps her legs around his waist.

"Please..." Tara begs, digging her fingers into Ashton's soft t-shirt.

When the two of them have their shirts put back on, Tara catches her breath out on one of the balconies, leaning against the wooden banister, looking out onto the water of their beach house.

"Please, let us stay us." Ashton circles his arms around her from behind, resting his chin on the top of her head.

"Okay, Ash......okay." She whispers, putting her hands over his to bring them against her stomach while she leans into his chest. After a few moments, Tara slips out of his arms, yawning.

"I should get to bed. I'm pretty tired and sore." She rubs her side, but he doesn't catch her hint.