ix

love like this ashton kutcher

"Hey, din-"

"Mom! Dammit."

Ashton's mother, Trish, had just walked into her guest bedroom to see Ashton and Tara about to take off their last articles of closing while he had her pinned against the wall.

"Oopsie." Trish said of it, simply, and walked out as if nothing happened before speaking to them while she stood outside the door.

"Dinner's done. I'll get the kids for you since you're....busy at the moment." They heard her clear her throat before her footsteps echoed through the hall as she walked away. Tara leaned her forehead into Ashton's shoulder, sighing of embarrassment. They both start to laugh, try to get back in the mood for a quickie, but it ultimately fails. He huffs in frustration while putting his jeans back on.

"Hey, we're going to the zoo tomorrow. Your mom wants to take the kids," Tara says, quickly twisting her hair into a braid while Ashton looks over his shoulder at her.

"Doesn't mean we have to stay with them the whole time." She smirks, making him smile.

"That's my girl." He only half jokes, gathering her in his arms for a hug and kiss.

When the two of them get to the dining room, they get looks from Trish and Daniel, Ashton's father. Tara looks to the floor, embarrassed, while Ashton simply clears his throat.

"So, mom walked in on us. Big deal." He clears the tension right away, and both kids turn their heads to look at their father tentatively. Tara shows them an awkward smile and elbows Ashton in the ribs before sitting at the table, next to Adeline.

"Keep eating, guys."

Tara's eyes burn a hole in her husband sitting across from her, and he smirks, biting his lip in. It makes her remember when they were dating, and you could cut the sexual tension with a knife whenever they were together. They couldn't keep their hands off of each other. Once they'd had kids, a lot of that changed. Tara started to think that if she spiced up their life in the bedroom, she could save the marriage. It proved to be working so far.

"Ashton, why don't you come with me to feed the horses." His dad suggests once everyone is done eating. He nods in agreement, and the two leave the house out the back door.

"Ryder, Addy, what do you say to grandma for dinner?" Tara looks at her kids, and they make eye contact with her before turning to Trish.

"Thank you gramma!"

"You angels are welcome. Anytime." Trish then turns her attention to her daughter-in-law, folding her hands on the table.

"Is everything okay with you and Ashton?" Tara's taken aback.

"Of course, everything's fine. Why would you ask that?"

"He seems a little....down this trip. Are you making him happy?" Trish puts her hands over Tara's, but Tara retracts, standing up from her chair immediately.

"I make my husband very happy, thank you very much." She tries to not raise her voice. Just then, Ashton and Daniel come back inside. A look of concern washes over Ashton's face.

"Everything alright?" Tara puts on a smile.

"Just fine, darling."

"She actually asked if you make me happy?" He questions with a surprised expression. Tara nods.

"Yeah. Ash, I didn't even know what to say. She left me nearly speechless." She turns her head to the side, looking at him from the lawn chair. Squinting, he looks back at her, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, babe. You told her we were fine, right?"

"Of course!"

"Well, good," He gets up, picking Tara up from the chair, catching her off guard.

"Because I have no idea what I'd be able to do without you." As he says this, their foreheads are pressed together, but a couple seconds later, she's flying through the air and into the pond. Surfacing, Tara begins to laugh and Ashton jumps in with her. He swims over to her, letting her put her arms around his neck, and he holds her waist. Trish observed the scene from the kitchen window, nervousness swirling in the pit of her stomach.