Chapter 6: Peace of mind

"Peaches..." I heard a soft singing voice whispering as something tickled my ear, halfway asleep, I raised my hand to shoo away whatever was disturbing me

"Peaches, wakey wakey" okay I'm hearing things now, I ignored it and tried to go back to sleep until my ear was tickled again, I grew very annoyed and waved my hand aggressively near my ear, only to hit something. I opened my eyes to Leo, rubbing his eye

"Oh god, sorry"

"It's okay, totally deserved it. We're about to land to I thought I should wake you "When we landed, there was a car waiting for us at the airport, the buildings we drove past were huge and beautiful but I was more interested in food.

"Can we get food, I'm really hungry"

"No" Luca denied me

"Why not?"

"We're almost to our destination, you can wait"

"I'm kinda hungry too" Leo said, both of us now staring at Luca

"That's two against one" I Smirked at Luca, he gave me a deadly stare but I smiled widely, he then sighed "Pull over to the nearest Restaurant" He said to the chauffer.

"What do you guys want?"

"Pizza!" Leo and I Said together, we got our food and continued on our way.

Soon, we arrived at a large house, should I even call it a house? More like a Palace. It had architecture like no other I've seen, the walls were a cream coloured stone, tall perfectly engraved columns and a huge fountain in the middle. Beds of colourful flowers surrounded the perimeter of the house, lining the iron fencing. We walked along the stone pathway, entered through the golden coloured, arched double doors. Inside the walls were white, icy marble floors and burgundy curtains, allowing barely any light to peak through.

"Luca! Leo! My handsome boys, oh how I've miss you" a tall beautiful, raven haired woman quickly walked down the staircase with a big smile, and hugged the boys. I could tell that she was Luca's mom, the resemblance was clear.

"And who might this lovely young lady be" she glanced over to me with a welcoming smile "I'm Aurora"

"She's new in the business, she's my.... Executive assistant" he gave a stare commanding me to agree. "Mhm" I nodded in agreement

"Oh, honey I Don't understand why you'd need one, you never forget a thing but Welcome to our lovely home, it's nice to meet you" she shook my hand.

"It's a pleasure, Mrs. Romano" I said with a soft smile

"Please, Call me Chiara"

"Luca!" A young girl with long hair ran to him, hugging him tightly

"Lilli!" he hugged her back

"I've missed you so much, I haven't seen you in so long, you need to visit more often"

After that family reunion, I was showed to my room, took a nice long shower and threw on a pretty floral dress when someone came knocking at the door, I opened it to a happy, excited girl's face.

"Hi Aurora, can I call you rora? I'm Liliana but you can call me Lilli. Mom said I should give you a little house tour so you can feel more comfortable"

"You don't have to if you don't want to"

"Don't be silly, of course I want to, shall we?" she gestured for me to walk with her, my feet ached after walking through the entire house.

*•*•*•*

"Where's Luca?"

"Out back" Leo muffled as he stuffed his mouth with food. I made my back to the back porch, there was a garden a couple feet away so I walked over to see if he was there. The garden was so beautiful, there was a small fountain in the middle, a river stream leading to god knows where and a bench swing.

"Beautiful, isn't it?' Luca came from behind me.

"It is, it's mesmerizing"

"I used to come here all the time when I was younger, this place gave me peace when everything else was.... Conflicted"

"Then why'd you leave?" I asked as we made our way to the bench wing and sat.

"Things got complicated" I looked at him waiting to hear his story since I know nothing about him.

"A couple years ago, my father was killed by an old associate, I tried coming here after to forget about everything, and even just for a second but I didn't feel at peace anymore. I took over his business, decided to leave Italy and moved to New Jersey. I opened a few more businesses there, didn't come back to Italy until now."

"Wow, I'm sorry for your lost but what about your sister and mom, you really left them alone for so long?"

"I have my guards on Twenty-four hour watch on them, they're always safe, I'd never let anyone hurt them"

"You know, a couple years ago my father died as well...5 years ago"

"How?" he looked at me curiously

"Car crash"

"Oh, I'm sorry"

"It's okay but I guess now I finally know something about you, can you answer a question, truthfully?"

"Depends, what is it?"

"Can you tell me why Im here?"

" I told you, I wasn't leaving you there alone.."

"No, I mean Why you're ...not letting me go home? I'm basically useless to you"

"True, but I'll let you know, what you saw isn't what you think you saw, well it is but it isn't..." I looked at him with an arched eyebrow

"..what I mean is that, that guy my men shot was a spy of a rival of mine, he stole some information from me and we caught him, the business that I have is very dangerous and If anyone finds out then I'd have to kill you, there is a code we follow and I'll need you to sign a contract before I let you go.."

"Then get the contract" I cut him off

"It's not that simple, if you mutter one word about it, you're fucking dead. I'll get the contract soon, once you sign it and agree to its conditions, only then you can leave"

"Sounds good to me"

We sat there talking for hours as the sun went down, watching the sky change colours. The entire garden lit up with tiny fairy lights peeking through the leaves and flowers, it became way more beautiful. We lost track of time as we spoke but I didn't care, he was always so serious and uptight but right now, at this moment, he was different, a good different. I guess this place really gave him peace.

*•*•*•*

Just a crystal clear drop of water appeared on my cheek as it stopped me from talking, I looked up and the drizzles of rain increased by the second. We got up and ran towards the house, well I ran but only halfway, he walked slowly, I stopped in my path and turned around to look at him, the rain still pouring down on us.

"What? You afraid of getting a little wet?"

"No, but I like not getting sick"

"Rain is peaceful" he reached next to me "Close your eyes and enjoy it" he tilted his head back and I watched as the droplets ran down his face.

"Like what you see?" He opened an eye and looked down at me with a smirk

"Psh, no, get over yourself" I rolled my eyes but was he right? Did I really like what I see?

"Ready to go inside?" His voice broke my thoughts

"Huh?" I looked up at him, the water rolling off his face, he looked fucking hot, hell yeah I like what I see.

"We're really gonna get sick now if we don't go inside"

"Uhm, Yeah" I said and we went inside

I took a warm shower and laid in bed trying to figure out what was it about him that just caught me, maybe it's the way he talked or maybe it's just the person he was tonight. Why do I want him to knock at the door right now, then there was a knock at the door.

" I brought clean towels" it was their maid.