Part 7

Steve was hurt. So hurt, he couldn't even breathe properly. He sat down on a footpath and cried his heard out, his cries, his screams scaring the passing by people.

She was gone, far gone now. She was moving on. She was falling for someone else. And she wasn't crying for him anymore. She had grown.

Steve wiped his eyes and looked at the sky, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It was for the best, for both of them.

After spending almost two hours, sitting on the footpath, crying under the sun's heat. Sweating and panting, he rose and decided to walk back to Sharon's apartment.

"Steve!! Oh my God, I was so worried. Where were you? " Sharon hugged him as he entered the house. He didn't hug her back, his face lacked emotions.

"I need to leave, Sharon" he said.

"What?! " Sharon looked at him, surprised.

"I cannot stay here, not anymore " he said.

"Where would you go? " she asked, "you don't have a place, you don't even have any money. Has your father agreed to take you back? "

"No, I would live on the streets, that's what I deserve" he said, and walked inside the house to gather his belongings.

Sharon tried to argue with him, she tried her best to make him stay but he didn't listen. Taking his things, he walked out the house, without a proper goodbye.

He didn't have any money, he couldn't afford a cab, or even a ride by bus. The only watch he had left was gone to get his children chocolates. He was penniless, homeless, and heartbroken. But he felt he deserved it. He deserved every bit of it.

Sitting down on a public bench, he rested his head on his palms and was lost in the beautiful memories, he shared with his beautiful wife.

_____

Natasha didn't feel good, she felt detached. When James left, she decided to break all the remaining ties with Steve.

Going to her room, she took the box out that had all the sketches he made of her, right from the day they met, to the day they separated.

She took the box, and decided to set it on fire.

As she went to bring the match stick. James sneaked in, quickly replacing the sketches with rough papers from his drawing book.

Natasha angrily set the fire, and sat by the flames, tears running down her cheeks, as she watched their love burn to ashes.

But James didn't allow, he saved the memories of his parents, he saved their love. Running back to his room, he messaged his grandfather.

Mommy tried to burn daddy's sketches. I saved them.

He hid the sketches, where he best could and then hid his body in the covers, silently shedding tears.

______

30 hours later

Sam found Steve lying on the public bench, shivering. He rushed to him.

Sharon had called Sam to inform about him going away. She and Sam tried to search him when he didn't return calls or messages.

Finally, Sam found him. As he touched him, he found out how cold and pale he was. His lips dry, his eyes sinking.

"Steve!! Oh God " Sam panicked. Steve was dehydrated and starving. He was also running a high temperature.

Sam yell for help and a few men helped him get Steve into the car. He rushed him to the nearest hospital.

Joseph and his wife arrived soon, followed by Sharon later.

"Was he eating lesser then normal? Does he have a mental condition? " the nurses asked.

"He left the house, a day back, more actually, and even at home he wasn't eating well. He refused.. He was losing weight.. I" Sharon started crying.

They waited and waited, until the doctor finally came out to update them.

"He was severely dehydrated and his sugars were very low. He would have died or lasted with a permanent damage to his brain had it been any longer. His condition would have been better if he wasn't having an infection, he probably had episodes of vomiting as well. " the doctor explained.

"Is he going to be fine now? " Joseph asked, his heart ringing in his ears.

"Well, physically yes. We have to monitor him for a while here. But, I think he needs to see a psychiatrist. Your son is severely depressed" the doctor said.

Joseph couldn't hate himself anymore then he already did. His son was suffering because he disowned him.

"Do we call her? " Sam asked, knowing his best friend, he knew what was the cause of his actual hurt.

"No, she deserves to stay out of this mess" Joseph said.

Sam nodded. Sharon kept crying.

"He sold all he owned of value to eat and.. He didn't eat well.. He even wanted to pay me rent.. I don't understand what is wrong with him" Sharon said, "How didn't I know.. When did he get so depressed that.. "

The psychiatrist was called in to study the case and since Steve wasn't in a state to talk much, Dr. Palmer called Joseph Rogers to meet her.

"What could possibly be the reason, Mr. Rogers? Did he have an upsetting event recently? Does any of his immediate family suffer from depression? " she asked.

"No, none of his family.. He was in middle of divorce proceedings, but.. He wanted the divorce, he basically pushed his wife away, and their eight children.. He cheated on her.. If anything, he didn't have any reason to be depressed.. She did" Joseph was still angry on Steve, "I send him out of my house, withheld all money, he was jobless, living with his girlfriend, I don't understand "

"Are you sure, his wife was innocent? " She asked.

Joseph stood up slamming his hands on the table, "Doctor, please. My daughter in law is as innocent as she can be. He ruined her life. He got her pregnant before she was even eighteen. He cheated on her after they had five children, and he even gave her three more during this mess. And even after all this he ends up getting depressed because I punished him. I was hating myself a few minutes ago but now, I think I did right. My son is way too spoiled. He gets depressed? I fear its just another tantrum to make me agree to his terms" he left the room in anger.

Dr. Palmer sighed, "I need to meet his girlfriend and his wife to figure out"

*******
Poor Steve.
He is suffering too.
But why?
Do give your reviews.