Her Name Is Freya

"Why would you do that?" Merlin spoke firmly, and walked rapidly towards his king, a solid minute after Leon and Gwaine was out of sight. Merlin was well aware of the fact that Arthur sent the knights back to Camelot while almost the entire woods were swarming with Saxons. How could that possibly be a good idea? Oh, and then there was that second thing. He lied to Guinevere, he downright lied to his wife, knowing the knights knew the truth and could tell her at any given time. He was going to send false information to her about what he was doing, yet he claimed he was doing it because of Merlin's possible lies. Merlin found this absolutely absurd.

Arthur didn't answer his servant's words, only looked him in the eyes as he rambled on about how ridiculous he found it all. Merlin never hesitated to let Arthur know whenever he found that something was off about his decisions. Again, he was one of the only people in Camelot Arthur was willing to listen to.

"Will you shut up" Arthur finally said.

Merlin was honestly not surprised. Arthur had told him to shut up a million times, but this time he felt like Arthur meant it. That being said, Arthur never really meant any of his condescending words towards his servant, yet he always hesitated to let him know exactly that. That including the times Merlin was told to shut up, because, in reality, Arthur never wanted him to shut up. Even though Merlin often talked nonsense, he was the voice of reason. He was wise, in a very, very strange way.

Merlin sighed.

"I would, but how would I be able to put up with you then?" Merlin looked him dead in the eyes, there was no doubt he thought highly of his talking-back skills. Arthur merely rolled his eyes and was quickly out of Merlin's eyesight.

"You know, I'm right here. There's no need to 'search for me' or whatever you came out here to do, anymore! I'm right here, Arthur. Right in front of you-"

"Will you please shut up!" Arthur snapped. Arthur was clearly not in a good mood, but he hid it well.

Merlin stayed the few meters away from Arthur, while the king didn't make any effort at all, to ready his horse. He merely sat down with a thud, his armor making him extra heavy. Merlin stared at him with wide eyes, he couldn't believe what he just witnessed. Was it a good thing? Or was it not a good thing? Was the fact that Arthur was willing to lie to his wife for Merlin, a good thing? Or was it, truly, something Merlin shouldn't be very excited for, exactly because of that? It was not even up for discussion. Merlin had never felt more out of place. He had never before wished he could just go back to polishing the king's armor, washing his clothes and cleaning his chambers. Or his own chambers. Yea, that's where he wanted to be. Away from Arthur, away from the knights and just talk to Gaius. Merlin wasn't even sure he'd want to talk to Gaius about it all, surely, he would be mad too. Or disappointed. Scared.

Or maybe these were all things Merlin was feeling. So anxious whenever Arthur was asking him about 'the woman', for once, Merlin wished he would just talk about something else. Even though Merlin truly wanted Arthur to know about his magic and his destiny, and everything else he was all about, this was just not the way he had wanted to tell him. Stupid, he thought. Now he regretted everything about taking Arthur to the lake. Why did Merlin think that was a good idea again?

Merlin needed to feel better, so he blamed it on his horse-self. Another thing he didn't have time to investigate further. It was all because of Arthur, all because of his arrogant king, who's arrogant ass he had saved a million times, who's arrogant ass he cared for enough to shake off these thoughts.

Merlin finally approached his king. It wasn't pleasant, but that was only because he knew stuff Arthur didn't know.

"Arthur?" he asked.