Fate Is Lying

I was all a blur. Freya's cold hands in his own, them both gazing into each other's eyes once again, just like they had done those few years back.

Merlin's vision was clouded with confusion and it hit him like a fist in his stomach. Because of all the bad things that could have happened to Arthur in that lake, he feared the worst. A man like Merlin, seeing the best in people but also seeing the worst in all situations. Just like this one, and it wasn't without reason. Merlin would have to confront his king about it. Of course, he had to. There was no way around it, whatever it was.

With a quick motion, he turned around to see Arthur slowly debating where to go with his fingers running through his hair, his gaze on the ground before him. To Merlin, it looked like he was in distress.

The warlock returned his eyes on the water and took a weak step forward, his breath reduced.

The panic that flowed through his body didn't make the situation any less difficult to handle. With the many possible reasons for Arthur to look at him in absolute fear was running through his mind, like an unpredictable storm threatening to destroy everything in its path. Merlin turned his head to look at Arthur again, who hadn't gone any further than the last time Merlin rested his eyes on him. He would give everything to know what he was thinking. What Freya had told him. He wanted to ask him but fought the desire. Whatever it was, Arthur looked angry and he didn't want him to be any angrier.

Huffs of breaths exited Merlin's mouth, as he didn't know in which direction to turn his steps.

"What," Merlin breathed, took a lousy step towards the man in front of him, who wasn't reacting to his voice, "what did she say to you?" he asked, and caught himself scared to hear the answer.

As Arthur didn't answer, Merlin immediately turned around and walked unsteadily towards the shore, his feet soon cold from the water that soaked through his non-waterproof boots.

"What did you tell him?" he asked the lake as if he was expecting some kind of answer, but the only answer he got was silence.

"Freya..." he said firmly, his voice demanding her presence even though he knew she couldn't reach him any longer. That opportunity was used and gone.

"What did you say to him!" he yelled at the lake, completely unaware of Arthur who had turned around to observe his servant taking it all out on himself. He looked at Merlin with wet eyes and parted lips, he didn't like to see him like that. Even though he did not want to believe what that woman had told him, about Merlin and his magic, he still felt something inside of him ache whenever Merlin did that to himself.

His magic, Arthur thought again, driving his thoughts away from his servant. The words sounded repeatedly in his mind, not wanting to leave him alone and constantly making his vision blurrier than the last time he blinked.

She was lying. She had to be lying, Arthur thought. That was the only explanation, she is simply manipulating him. She didn't like Arthur anyway, right? That had to be why-

"Tell me!" Merlin yelled and stepped further into the lake, not at all bothered by the freezing cold once again surrounding him.

The rustling sound of armor and chainmail sounded behind him, the sharp sound of a sword being shoved into the ground filled his ears as Merlin kept acting as though something terrible was going to happen and they all were going to suffer because of it-

"Merlin, stop-" Strong arms wrapped themselves around the warlock and dragged him back towards the shore, the water splashing everywhere as Merlin fought the arms pulling at him.

"No!" he yelled, wanting to sound big and strong as he demanded answers from Freya, but it came out as a high-pitched yell instead, leaving him to shut up, and forming tears in his eyes instead.