14 - 0600H

A/N: Hindi lang po si Laura Patola at Victor Magtanggol ang magpapaka-busy. Medyo magiging toxic po ang week na 'to para kay otor but will still try to post two updates per story if I can.

A relatively short update today. Bawi po next time when the action starts to peak up.

Otor, yung totoo, bakit ang serious mo?!?!

------------------

Maine woke up with a dreamy smile on her lips. The smile stayed despite realizing that it's now but an empty space where Richard had been, right before she fell into a short but deep, sweet slumber in his arms.

Maybe she was not dreaming when she felt his kiss on her lips then the lingering one on her forehead before she went back to sleep.

She understands because now there's hope. She's no longer alone.

It's been a long time since she allowed herself to hope, but here she is, hopeful again that everything will turn out right in the end.

Happy that for a few precious moments, they were finally able to express the deep yearning for each other that they have suppressed due to months of separation.

Contented that everything is crystal clear now. He did not walk away but stayed away while protecting her from afar.

Because he loves her. He loves her.

They love each other. No ifs, no buts this time.

She touched her slightly swollen lips, still with the dreamy smile on her face, feeling the color spread across her cheeks as she recalls their intense scene this morning.

Her sweet musings were interrupted when her phone, forgotten at the bedside table for almost an hour, began ringing again.

------------------

Richard parked the agency's service car beside his motorcycle which he only uses for special missions. His parking space is not in the location usually reserved for tenants. A part of the payment he negotiated with the owners in exchange for an independent audit work he did where he found an anomaly in building operation.

He made his way to the service elevator, which the building admin granted as necessary for his use, going to his unit.

This time for a quick shower and change of clothes before he reports for work.

He did not have the heart to wake Maine up when he left her townhouse. Richard can still clearly see the serene smile on her face as she sleeps whenever he closes his eyes. The memory of what happened will forever be etched in his mind and heart. Something to hold on to in the next coming hours, even days while they find a way out of that protective order.

He takes heart that at least this time, they will be fighting for what they have together.

But right now, time is not their ally. He called a shortcut number while waiting for the elevator and Deputy Director Manalo answered on the fourth ring.

"Bakit ngayon ka lang tumawag? Kanina pa kita kino-contact!"

"Pasensiya na, nakatulog po Ninong."

"Tulog o nagtutulug-tulugan? Report to the HQ at 0830H sharp."

He recognized the serious tone in the Deputy Director's voice. It's Monday morning. No hope of extended rest for the tired ones. "Sir, bakit ang urgent po ng order? I'm due to be back to the HQ today, anyway."

"May natanggap kaming bagong intelligence. Bukod sa witness under our protection, may mga naghahanap kay Atty. Mendoza mula Bicol hanggang Maynila. Tapatin mo 'ko, Tisoy. Kasama mo ba siya?"

He told the truth, at the moment. "Hindi po. But just to disclose, Sir, kasama siya sa dalawang abogado na pinadala ng PAO."

Richard did become alarmed though with what he heard. So they're now looking for her. Why?

"Hindi sa nakikialam ako pero paalala lang, Tisoy. Hindi ko alam ang estado n'yo, basta huwag mong hayaang may makakita sa inyo na magkasama. Sinasabi ko sa 'yo, Agent Reyes, hindi ka puwedeng magkakaso dahil hindi ka sasantuhin ng mga kaaway natin."

"Understood, sir. Thank you for your concern. Pero meron pong bagong development. Wait till you get the statement of the witness."

"Natanggap ko na at yun ang kailangan nating pag-usapan. Kailangan namin ng forensic expertise mo para i-trace ang bagong witness na sinasabi ng matanda. Kailangang mauna tayo sa records na hawak niya. This could be the hard evidence we're looking for."

"Copy, sir. Papasok na po ako sa elevator, baka mawala signal."

"Elevator? Bakit saan ka galing? Kanina ka pa raw pasado alas-dos umalis du'n sa bahay nung Judge."

"Morning workout, sir. Talk to you later." He ended the call before the questions become too hard to answer.

-----------------------

Maine saw the 5 missed calls and cringed. No one dare makes the senior partner and founder of Capili and Capili & Associates waits for a return call. Even though she no longer works for him.

She thought his agenda must be pretty urgent when she slides the green button to take the call. "Dad."

"Nicole Maine! Where the hell have you been? I've been trying to reach you all morning!"

She glanced at the clock on her study table.

6:45 am. Shoot! She's going to be late!

Why did she miss her 6:30 am alarm?

Scrambling out of bed, she immediately made her way to the bathroom, blanket and all, while she talks to her father.

"Sorry Dad, I overslept. Can I call you back later? I'm running late for a 7:30 appointment as it is." She tried to school her voice. Her father must not suspect what she found out, still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

She thought they have already started repairing the strained family relationship when he began inviting her for weekend family dinners again. Now she knows the background story why there were no 'I told you so' when she told them she's no longer seeing Richard.

"No, this will not take long. Let's have lunch today. There's something I need to discuss with you. My secretary will send you the details."

Lunch? What for? 'Dad, I can just come to the house for dinner tonight. Why the sudden formal lunch invitation?"

"Pati ba naman lunch appointment pagtatalunan pa natin? Speaking of dinner, you did not join us for dinner yesterday. Where were you?"

"Emergency. I had to report for work. Sorry Dad, but I really need to get going or I will really be late."

"Just be there."

"I'll wait for your secretary's call. By the way, does she know my new number? Baka kasi yung dating number ko tawagan niya, magulat siya kung sino sumagot. Bye, Dad!" She quipped before ending the call, but with double meaning.

She now understands why her 'snatched phone' did not surface anywhere in the black market. Her old number must still be active and the bill still being paid for by her father's office, but she's too happy to care.

------------------

Did they connect her to the witness? Or were 'they' just surprised that she suddenly disappeared from under their noses?

The new intelligence report still baffles Richard as he emerged from his own bathroom after a quick shower.

Whatever it is, he must warn her.

Problem is, in their newfound excitement earlier, they forgot to exchange their new numbers.

He thought of options as he puts on his watch.

An 'aha' moment occurred as his only choice.

He still has time before his 0830 call time at the HQ.

It was exactly seven o'clock when Richard put on his black helmet and got on his motorcycle.

'Richard Reyes' will be making appearance at Atty. Maine Capili's 7:30 am appointment.