Part II Teaser

The sand burns hot beneath my feet. The wind is in my face, my hair is flying in the wind. The others follow behind me, scarves on their faces to block their eyes and mouths from the endless supply of sand, blown by the strong winds.
I'm sure it's another mirage. It has to be. It's always a mirage.
Behind me, I hear muffled voices.
"The ocean!" Marina yells out. I laugh a little, because she's named after the ocean. Marina as of the sea. That's funny. I feel tired.
We climb up higher, and we gain a wider view of the sea, stretching out before us. It's beautiful. I know Crayton would hate it here. Not only is it by the ocean, but there's even more sand than a regular beach. That's another thing he hated, sand. "S-A-N-D" I whisper. I like that word.
Then I hear the voices behind me again. Can they be quiet?
"What's that?" I hear someone say. I look in the direction they're pointing.
Through the mist made of sand not moisture, I can see a light. A huge light, emanating not from one point, but shining in an area miles wide. In the middle of the ocean.
I feel the sand hit my face. Who threw that at me? "That's not funny" I say. And I'm even more tired now. I laugh. I just slept last night silly, why would I be tired now? But it's okay. I could use the sleep, I tell myself. Good to be rested up. I realize I'm already lying down in the sand. So I rest my eyes a bit. I wonder what that light was. It's okay. Probably nothing.