Chapter 18

I stared at him so hard. I didn't even notice the puddle of tears under my eyes. I wiped it away. I was speechless. I stared at him blankly. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Lucas. Why would he ever do that to me? Someone who I thought would never do that to me or to anyone.

"Ciara, let me explain. I don't have-" He said.

"Lucas, breaking up with you was the hardest thing I did. And this is what you give me in return? You were the one person I trusted." I replied and walked away into the tent.

I didn't have anything else to tell him. I just didn't want to talk to anybody. I sat alone on the tent crying until My eyes hurt and I was out of tears to shed. After half an hour, I got a call. It was my mom. I didn't know what to do. How would I answer her questions? I was prepared to die. But, I was not prepared for this. I was not prepared to realize that my killer would be Lucas.  One of the people I loved the most. I ignored her call and switched my phone off.

"Can I explain?" Lucas walked in.

"How did Linda let you in?"

"I begged her. She is a tough girl."

"She is. She lived in this tent for years. Because of someone like you who tried to kill her."

"My dad." He said not looking at my face.

"Your dad? George is your dad?" You said your dad.."

"I lied. His name is not Chris. It is George. George Harding. He was a famous serial killer Ciara, do you expect people to like us if we say the truth? Everyone thinks that my dad's name was Chris and he passed away years ago due to cancer and we moved into this town. We used to live in the town next to this. Where Linda lived." He continued after a pause. "It is not like I have a choice in killing you. If I don't kill you, I die."

That is when I realized how his dad died. He didn't kill Linda.

"I have three more hours, Ciara. To kill you. Or I die. Do you think it was easy for me? You said the hardest thing ever was breaking up with me, in my case the hardest thing ever is to choose whether to kill you or to die. And I already decided Ciara. The day you said to me all about our first date. Perfectly. Clearly. Somethings that I didn't even remember and things that you would never remember, that day, I saw you sliding the book into your bag. I tried to convince myself that it would be someone else, but when I followed you to the woods the other day, I realized it was you. I heard half of your conversation with Linda, about the book. I cried a whole night Ciara. I already lost my dad and I was not ready to lose you." He said and stopped. He took a deep breath. He wiped the tear streaming down his cheeks. "I don't think I will ever be ready to lose you!"

I didn't say anything. I stayed silent. I believed in him.

"Ciara, my dad died because he didn't kill Linda. When he died he told me to never open this book." He said taking a small book from his pocket. It was very small compared to my book. It had only twenty pages. Whoever got this book, have to kill the person who has the other book, if not we die. And today I have decided to die."

"No. You cannot do that." I said suddenly.

"If I live, then I will go on killing people and-"

"No, we will destroy the book."

"Don't you get it? It can't be destroyed easily. And any one of us has to die today. Ciara. In less than three hours."

"Can we not think about this now and just relax? Can we enjoy the last moments together please?" I pleaded.

He nodded in approval. Linda, Helda, and Chloe walked in. "We heard everything." Said Helda.

"Can we join?" Linda asked.

"Yeah, sure."

Linda lit up a campfire. We sat around it in a circle. This was definitely not how I planned my new years eve would be. But it felt so good. I rested my head on Lucas's lap. Chloe sat beside me. And Linda and Helda sat opposite to me. I had my four best friends near me. When it comes to friends, it's quality that matters, not quantity. They were less in number, but they were the only people I needed right now...