Chapter 1

The birds chirped... The owls howled, the river flowed, and the sunlight made its way through the trees that covered the woods. And by the road, beside it, I walked. My best friend Chloe Martin accompanied me. We were walking back from school. We usually wander in the forest after school. We once discovered a tent in the woods, but when the next day we went by, it was gone. Many such weird things happened in the woods, but that doesn't stop us from going in there. We were both curious people and we loved poking our nose in other's business and finding more about things. That is what made Chloe my best friend.

Her dark brown curly hair always made her face look small. And her dark brown eyes were almost always used to read novels or for scrolling through her phone stalking people. At times, I ask myself the question of how a person who reads so many books can be so stupid at the same time. That is the question juggling in my mind since the day I met her.

While we passed by the woods, as usual, we decided to visit it, sit by the river and enjoy the freshening moment. It was fine for me as my parents didn't care if I was late. My dad works as a professor in a college nearby to our house and my mom works as an accountant. And I have an annoying small brother, Mike, who wants my room and so is hoping that I will study abroad. At first, I thought he wanted good for me, but then I realized his true intention. I can't blame him, my room is a lot bigger than his.

We sat by the river and talked for a few minutes. We were talking about our lives and about school and then the sun went down and the day became darker and we had to leave, so we started walking back to the road.

In the dark woods, my feet tumbled on something, I couldn't see it properly but I lifted it and it was a book that had a brown cover and looked old and rusty. I couldn't help but be curious about it. On the cover of the book, in big font, it was engraved 'Last two years of Linda's life." I almost opened the book when a drop of water fell on my face. It started to rain lightly. We ran out of the woods. "Ciara, let's go," said Cloe.

Once we were out of the forest, Chloe snatched the book, "Did you go to the library without me?" She was checking it out.

"Why would I go to the library without you? The only reason I go to the library is to keep you company." I replied taking the book back from her hands, "I got this in the woods."

"A book in a forest? That seems weird."

"Never mind," I said and slid the book into my bag. By the time I reached my home, I was covered in water. I ran inside the house and into my room.

My room wall was covered with drawings and quotes. To the left of my bed was my study table. I kept the book on it and lay on my bed. And opposite to the table was my wardrobe with all my clothes. And there was a mirror right next to the door. And there was a family picture on my study table, a small happy family.

"Why are you late?" My mom called out from the hall.

"Oh." I made up an excuse "It was just the rain... It was because of the rain."

I had my food and that is when Chloe came to my home. We were neighbors so we meet up like most of the days after school. Chloe lived just across the street and my room has a window that gives me a view straight to her room window. So we talk through it often. And she just walks into my home whenever she likes without anyone's permission. Most of the time, she eats dinner from our place. My parents are used to it.

This time she came into the room and started talking "Did you read that book you got from the woods? What was it about?"

"Oh no," I said and took the book and wiped the water off. "I totally forgot about it. I am just gonna see what it is. I didn't even open it."

I turned the book open. For some reason, the book felt different. On the first page, it was written Last two years of Linda's life. I touched the first page and my eyes widened with shock, the words started disappearing. Terror ran through me as I could feel a new text appearing. I was so shocked and the book fell down from my hands. My hands were trembling.

"Chloe! It is changing." I said in a terrified voice. Then I took the book from the floor,

"Holy, Shit!" Chloe muttered her breath as we both stared at each other and then into the cover page of the book which now said-

"The Last 2 Years of Ciara's Life."

.....