15

Aun was changing Kaori's bandages in his parlor when someone rapped on the door. Struck with panic, he pulled away from Aun's touch. "No one must come in."

But it was too late. Koreti stepped in through the door, which had been left slightly ajar. Aun looked up, her freckled cheeks flushed. "Matei, give us another minute, please."

Kaori slumped back onto his chair with a sigh. "Never mind it."

Koreti—it was a struggle to get used to his brother's new name, although by this time, Koreti had been Matei for most of his life—cast his eyes over Kaori's ruined arm and torso, his face expressionless. Shame turned to anger in an instant underneath that flat gaze.

"Well? Did you come just to stare?" Kaori snapped. He ignored the concerned glance Aun gave him and sat up again with an effort, moving back into range of her hands. "Don't let him interrupt you, Aun."

Koreti finally looked Kaori in the eye. "I came to speak with you about what's next."

"There's nothing to talk about. Whether Mhera agreed to your questionable plan or not, there is only one way forward."

"I know that, Kaori. I know. I've spoken with her about it, and the both of us see no path forward but to consent to your demands. What I mean is the logistics of it all. People will not accept me in your place." Koreti's gaze remained fixed on Kaori's, uncomfortably intent; he was probably avoiding the sight of his handiwork.

Kaori leaned forward at the gentle pressure of Aun's hand, allowing her the space to wrap his bandages. They had slipped into an easy routine by now; the difficult thing was not the pain or the queer intimacy of having a stranger bind his wounds—it was having his brother, the man who'd done it to him, in the room to watch.

Koreti had a point. They had not discussed the details of the plan for transitioning leadership, but Kaori thought the next step must be obvious for a boy who'd been raised as a prince. "I suppose you should be crowned," he said. "What else?"

"Should we not ensure the operation of the city before we think of frivolous things, Kaori? Where is the city guard, and are they still loyal? How will we feed the people, and ourselves? We're quickly running out of food—"

"Who said anything about frivolous? A coronation ceremony is anything but, Koreti. Ask Master Eovin and he will tell you precisely the same thing," Kaori said. Aun had finished with his bandages and now handed him his tunic. He muttered a word of thanks to her.

Kaori was getting better at this part. As long as he avoided shirts with buttons, he could do well enough by putting the garment over his head, putting his left arm through, and then pulling the rest into place. He gathered the tunic in his hand and draped it over his head, then wormed his arm through the fabric, seeking the sleeve.

"Aun," Koreti said, "I think you are needed in the Arcborn quarter."

"I saw Uachi not an hour ago, and he said the same," she replied. "I am on my way there now. Will you be all right without me, Kaori?"

Heat rose in Kaori's cheeks as he shoved his arm through the sleeve and began to tug the rest into place with a few rough jerks. He could not tell whether it was embarrassment or something else. "I'm fine, woman. You needn't coddle me."

To his surprise, she laughed. "Oh, I promise you: I coddle no one. Were you twenty years younger, perhaps. Go on with your discussion, Matei; I'll just take these things away, and I shall be back when I can."

"How will you get down there?" asked Koreti—Matei—as he stepped out of her way.

"Uachi says he has 'secured' a horse," she said. "I did not ask him what that meant. I promise, I'll be fine." She took her tray out with her as she left.

Matei turned his attention back to Kaori. "I plan to speak with Eovin within the hour."

"Do. Much has changed, Brother, but I will still be pleased to be proven right. As for the city guard, your captain is Alban. He was loyal without fail to Father and was bound to be loyal to Koren as well, so I do not know if he can be found still in the city limits. Send for him and see."

Matei frowned, as if finding this task a distasteful one, but Kaori was not disposed to have pity on him. "Is there anything else?" he asked.

There was an uncomfortable silence; it seemed Matei was hesitant to say what was on his mind. At last, he said, "Tell me how it is between us."

The question caught Kaori off guard. He realized that Matei had noticed his abrupt manner—but he couldn't bring himself to feel sorry. "What do you expect?"

"I need you as my ally if I am to do what you've asked. What will it take?"

"I am your ally. Look, I've just given you what help I could. Now leave me alone. I'm tired."

"You resent me."

Anger flared in Kaori's heart. Too many long hours of sitting alone with only his pain and his nurse for company had given Kaori plenty of things to say, were he to choose to speak his mind. He drew a breath, quelling the urge to shout at his half-brother. "Don't, Koreti. If we must have this conversation, please, at least let me have it when I can stand for more than a moment."

Matei opened his mouth, as if to make a response, but appeared to think better of it. He lowered his gaze, looking tired. "Very well."

Kaori rested his head back against his chair and turned his face away, ignoring Matei as he left the room. Looking toward the window, Kaori wished his chair were closer so that he might look out. Where he sat, there was nothing to see but the empty room and nothing to think about but the distance between the man he was and the man he once had been.

What do you think, my friends? Is Matei to blame for what happened to Kaori? Does he deserve forgiveness?

Is there a way for these half-brothers to become friends again?

Your next update will come on Sunday! ❤