23

Captain Alban led the way out of the Mage's Keep, choosing the path through windowless corridors by the dim glow of ancient spirit globes shrouded in cobwebs. Ealin went after him like a shadow. She was had not raised her voice to protest since her initial attempt to flee; she had not even tried to free herself from the captain's grasp.

Matei watched her curiously as he walked behind, turning over their brief interaction in his mind for any clue that might hint at what was going on. Why had she chosen to stay behind if the archmage had indeed taken the rest of his students with him, wherever he'd gone? And why was she so afraid?

As they neared the entrance into the compound, Matei noticed a tapestry hanging on the old stone wall. He reached out to brush his fingers along the braided edge; a layer of dust had muted the colors, but its subject was plain enough to see: The Separation. This brought a question to mind.

"Ealin, did the archmage keep bloodstones in this place?" he asked as they turned into the corridor, heading for the way out.

The girl said nothing, but the way she lowered her head suggested to Matei that she knew, at least, what a bloodstone was. And why wouldn't she? She wore no marke; she could not be Arcborn herself, and if she were truly an apprentice, she would have had to get her powers from somewhere.

Silence. Although her reticence was beginning to rankle him, Matei knew he would do himself no favors by showing impatience. He held his tongue as they emerged into the thin late morning light. Let her keep her secrets for now. If he could gain her trust, he might gather some answers to his questions later.

Uachi was still waiting outside, standing exactly where Matei had left him. He was surveying the street, his back to the compound. At the sound of their footsteps, Uachi turned toward them, his glance skating over Matei and the captain. Then he saw Ealin, and the watchful expression slid off his face, replaced with something like surprise.

"Any trouble out here?" Matei asked. He was frustrated when Uachi did not seem to have heard him. "Uachi, has there been any trouble?" he repeated, his tone sharp now.

The ranger looked at Matei as if startled to see him standing there. "No. None. Who's this?" Then he made a quick amendment, perhaps owing to the new diversity of company: "Your Grace?"

"Her name is Ealin, and she is to accompany us back to the palace." Matei beckoned, and Captain Alban drew nearer, still guiding Ealin with a hand on her arm.

"A prisoner?" Uachi glanced between Matei and Captain Alban.

"No, and I'll thank you not to treat her like one," said Matei.

"We have no extra horse for her...Your Grace."

Matei looked at Captain Alban. "Perhaps—?"

"Shall I accompany Your Grace back to the palace? I might be of more help here, for there is some work to be done to organize the watch and receive final reports on the search of the premises, but, as always, I await your pleasure."

"No, you're right, Captain. Please. Stay. Don't forget about the rations. I don't want these people to starve, and I do not want rumors of their house arrest to spread round the city. She can ride with me."

"She can ride with me," said Uachi. He shifted his gaze from Ealin to Matei, giving him a pointed look along the lines of, Are you going to be imperial, or not? Choose.

"Very well," said Matei. He would not argue with that look or Uachi's good sense; as silly as it was, he needed to bow occasionally to what was expected. "Ealin, have you any protests to riding with Uachi? He is a capable horseman and will see you safely to the palace."

"Might I not stay here, Your Grace?"

"She speaks." Matei tempered his wry joke with a smile. "No. I need information, my dear, and I'm afraid you're the likeliest candidate to give it. The sooner you speak, the sooner you may be free to go. Until then you shall enjoy the hospitality of a very diminished palace staff. Come."

Ealin did not move. She stood stiffly, looking in obvious terror from Matei to Uachi. Gently, Matei took her arm and guided her over to Uachi's horse. He worried that she might cry, but she appeared not to have the capacity for any emotion beyond that humming tension. "Uachi, go on up and I'll help her on. Before or behind?"

Uachi took one look at Ealin's white-knuckled fingers and said, "I'll have her in front, I suppose. Are you going to faint?" This last was directed to Ealin.

"I've never ridden a horse before," said the girl in a whisper so low that Matei strained to hear it.

"Don't worry; I'll do the hard work of it. You just sit up straight." Uachi swung himself up into the saddle with ease.

"Pardon me," Matei said, placing his hands on Ealin's waist and lifting her. Uachi leaned down and put one strong arm round her waist, helping her up sidesaddle. Her feet dangled to one side, and she seemed to shrink in on herself, her dark hair hanging like a curtain to veil her expression from view. "There you are. Hold onto the pommel and we'll be off."

With a nudge of his heels, Uachi urged his horse into motion. Matei mounted his own horse and took up the rein, sparing a single glance back at the Mage's Keep before he, too, began the ride back. A complement of soldiers accompanied them.

The journey to the palace was unsettling; the streets of Karelin were mostly barren. The market stalls, bakeries and tailors' shops were shuttered. They saw few people; those they did see shrank back from the riders or peered at them from behind the curtains of their homes. At first, near to the Mage's Keep, the houses were fine and the faces unmarked; as they rode on, passing through streets more populated with Arcborn families, they saw the tattooed faces of the city's undercaste.

Matei saw fear in the faces of the citizens. He knew these people were hungry and that they were not certain what to make of the changes that had shaken the city. He did not blame them for their uncertainty; how could they be sure that the violence was past? Even Matei did not know without a doubt that peace was to come. But he knew he would try to ensure that the days to come were easier for the Arcborn citizens of Karelin, and of Penrua, than they had been before.

When he arrived back to the palace, he would have a word with Mhera, and together they would set in motion the cogs of the new city government.

I hope everyone's week is off to a splendid start

So...We have introduced a new character, Ealin the mage, and I hope it is not a spoiler to confess that she'll be here for a while.

What do you think of her? Why is she so timid? And will she have information to share about the archmage?

The next chapter is coming on Friday!