chapter 3 - so close, yet so far

When the finally limped back to earth three and a half hours later (Scotty obviously miscalculated something) the first thing that went through Jim's mind was a hot shower with actual water (not those sonic shits they have on board) and a bed. She was so exhausted, both mentally and physically, she wanted nothing more than to collapse into a warm bed and sleep for three days.

But first she needs to face one more challenge.

Reporters aka the blood suckers.

And admiral Archer.

When the Enterprise docked, everyone left the ship, starting from the lowest ranking officers, going up to the top. Which means that Scotty, bridge crew, Spock and her will be one of the last people on board. Bones was the exception, because he, as Pike's physician, had to leave for obvious reasons.

As they were getting ready to leave the Enterprise, Jim got a call from admiral Archer. She and her first officer were to report to him right away for a report. She was also notified that the rest of senior officers were to report tomorrow morning because of the same reasons. Jim swallowed her response, the one that Starfleet admiral definitely wouldn't like and nodded to the rest of the gang to go on with their business.

When the last person exited (the last person being Uhura, and she didn't leave before she planted a passionate kiss on Spock's lips -a kiss that definitely did not set Jim's blood on fire, not at all- and gave Jim a warning look, to which Jim again responded with a beaming smile, just to provoke her) Jim turned towards Spock (that looked kinda uncomfortable, thank you very much) and asked,

"Well, shall we, Mr Spock?" To which he responded, "I believe we shall, Capitan."

A walk from the hangar to the Starfleet headquarters was relatively short, that is, in normal circumstances.

They were the last two people to exit the ship and as soon as they set their feet on the ground, they were swallowed in the sea of reporters.

The reporters flashed their cameras in their faces and were asking some very cringe worthy questions. They tried to get through, but they were too many of them. Few of them were shouting questions that were directed at Spock and were associated with his home planet. Spock was successfully ignoring the bastards, but Jim didn't have that kind of control and when one particular journalists asked him a question about his mother, Jim couldn't stand it anymore and she snapped like a rubber band.

She all but yelled angrily, "Alright, listen up here, you worthless piece of shit! What kind of monsters are you?! The guy just lost his home, and you are asking him this type of deranged questions! Save yourself some dignity, if you have any left that is, and ever so kindly fuck off !"

She was breathing hard but she was also ready to punch the next person that asked them any kind of questions. And also Where the hell is security?

Just as that question popped on her mind, she saw a bunch of security officers rushing towards them. Thank god.

Jim didn't think what she was doing and in the heat of a moment, she grabbed Spock's sleeve covered arm and started pushing the reporters aside. She could clearly hear the sounds of photos being taken, but she didn't care at that point. All she wanted was to get this briefing over with and to have a nice shower.

Jim still didn't realize that she was clutching Spock arm, that is, she wasn't aware of it until they made it to the building and Spock awkwardly cleared his throat. She stopped in her tracks and turned towards her first officer.

"You ok there Spock?"

She still wasn't aware of her grip, that has become stronger since they stopped walking.