8

When everyone finished performing the dinning room was open for a late-night banquet. The Viscount offered to escort Cordy into the dinning room. She took his offered arm and let him lead her out of the ballroom.

"You made a beautiful Juliet."

"Thank you I also enjoyed your rendition of comedy of errors. I think it would have been fun performing with my family."

"I will admit I enjoyed watching my brother in law play the clown. Jeremy has become serious since he took his vows."

Cordy who seemed to have left her brains back in London spoke before she thought about what she knew about the Viscount.

"I have it on good authority you have not taken anything seriously since you made your entrance into society. From what I heard you started before you got out of school. Such a rake they say you are."

Alex was walking behind the two of them was shocked by what she said. He thought she only talked to him like that. She heard the growl then he spoke.

"Cordy behave."

She turned to face him. She had a big smile and her eyes were lit up as if she was up to mischief which he was certain knowing Cordy she was.

"Really your Grace do you honestly think woman do not talk about rakes in privet? Please you are so naïve we talk just like men do. Haven't I already explained this to you?"
She turned her attention back to the Viscount, turning all her charm on him. Vance laughed he was sure he could be in big trouble if he let her invade his thoughts. She was beautiful, and he reminded him of his sister, and that was dangerous. He was only two and six he had plenty of time before he settled down. The Viscount brought Cordy over to sit with his family. She curtsied to the Duke and Duchess, and then sat down between Victor and Vance. Victor was the one who seemed comfortable to start the conversation off.

"I think Lady Burkhart and Troy have a lot in common."

"I think they both started their seasons off on the wrong foot."

Tory and Vance laughed knowing what was going on with Cordy, but the Duke had been kept in the dark and had no idea what Victor was talking about. Jeremy shuddered.

"No one should experience a season like Tory's. You have my deepest sympathies my dear Lady. That is not something anyone should experience."

Everyone at the table agreed but no one elaborated on how the two of them shared the common thread of a bad season. After their meal. Vance took Cordy out for a walk in the garden. The moon was full, and the smells of the garden made the evening quite romantic. Cordy and Vance ended up at the fountain where Cordy sat on the rim. She gazed up at the stars they were quite lovely, and she said so.

"Even with the threat of death I can not help think what a beautiful night it is tonight."

Vance sat down beside her she was a vision of loveliness. Her hair auburn shined the golden hues more pronounced in the light of the full moon. Her eyes he knew were a blue green he couldn't tell the color, but he could see the brightness behind them even in the dark. He was drawn to her but getting caught with her would put an end to his bachelor days. He needed to be very careful. If he had been reading the signs right she had already set, her sights on the Duke. They sat in silence for a while before Cordy started to talk.

"Are men as confused by what their hearts tell them and what their heads tell them?

"I beg your pardon?"

"For example, my heart is telling me I would like very much for you to kiss me right now. My head is saying that is not such a clever idea do men have the same problem?"