13

That night at the Atwoods musical Cordy wore a Dark green dress that was tapered to her figure and was low cut in the front and back. She wore her hair up in ringlets and she adorned her hair with matching cameos like the one around her neck. Before the concert she mingled with the Duchesses who had been at her uncle's party, and she met a couple of new ones as well. The topic of her weekend away came up and she invited all of them to attend. The Duchess of Weston, Peterbrough's and Chester had already accepted. While they were talking Alex approached the woman.

"A word Lady Burkhart."

"We have nothing to say to one another."

She turned her attention back to the woman.

"I will contact you with all the details your graces. I need to go relax before I have to perform."

Tory the Duchess of Weston laughed. She had the pleasure of having to perform in her first season, but she had the luck of having a brother who was the incomparable male that year and their mother made them both perform a duet. She laughed at the memory where had all the time gone she had been married now for eight glorious years, and had three children Charles and Justin twins, and Silvia. Life had taken a lot of twist and turns her first and only season, but everything worked out in the end. Jeremy her husband caressed her face he could tell what she was thinking that night seemed like a life time ago.

Cordy's brother had watched the exchange between the Duke and his sister. He approached her. He kissed her cheek and smiled.

"Do you think it's prudent to upset a duke?"

"Only that duke Charlie only that one."

"Something you want to tell me minx?"

She laughed if she told him he would acquire a special license for her to marry. To be honest the special license had already been obtained it just needed to have the name of the groom put in its place.

"I would rather not. If I can't get him because he loves me, and the bloody man loves me then I don't want him at all."

"That did not do anything to relieve my burden minx."

"I suppose not but that is all you are going to get. Just do not do anything rash. I will handle the duke my way."

She walked off the orchestra was calling the people to assemble. Cordy sat with the other participants and waited for her turn. She was going to be playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat major. When she finished her piece, she stood bowed and was surprised to see she had received a standing ovation. Not something she was used too. She decided to go out on to the balcony to get a bit of air, she was overly warm after playing. The stars were bright, but not as bright as they were the night on the balcony with Addie, when he held her to him. Evan joined her out on the balcony, he was her protective detail when Maggie couldn't be with her.

"Have you told him yet?"

She laughed, her and the Earl had discussed this topic more than once.

"No, I want him to love me not settle for me."

"Cordy, he is going to be stuck with you either way."

"Not if I find someone and save him from a fate worse than death."

"I think you are over dramatizing marrying you too much. Do you really think a man wants a woman who loves someone else? I know I wouldn't that is why I have not asked for you. I like you a lot we suit well. We are easy with one another, and I think we could make a good couple, but I don't want a woman who is always pining for another man and hope she will someday love me."