Chapter 1: New Room- "Mate"!

I enter my new dorm room, relieved to finally be alone. I am now in Quezon City, far away from her. This'll make things easier on me. This'll help ease the pain. I start to examine my surroundings curiously. This is quite different from my parents' house. It's so plain.

The room has bright white walls and the beds have only a mattress on them. Even the slightest flash of color draws the eyes to it. I smile. I can work with this.

I take out my black sheets and drape them over the bed. Then, I get my pillow which has a plain grey pillow case and put it on top of it. I examine the bed and smile. It looks dark: just the way I like it. I start to empty posters from my box.

I start with Suzy Bae! The last poster I put up is Seolhyun.

I smile at my work and allow myself to relax. I enjoy the silence until I hear the door open.

I stare at the girl who just walked in.

She smiles and sets her stuff down. "Hi. I'm Denn!" She says while extending her hand.

I don't even bother to get out of bed. I just roll my eyes and pick up my copy of I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. I turn to where I left off, page 53. I attempt to read but Denn is so distracting that I end up just reading the same sentence over and over again. I sigh and slam the book closed.

"Can you be any more loud?" I scowl.

Denn looks at me innocently. "Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you."

I roll my eyes and pick up my book again. However, this time, I don't try to read. I just observe Denn. She has long straight light auburn hair and large brown eyes.

She's not quite tan but she isn't pale either. She looks as if she's about average weight and she's wearing dark blue jeans with a bright yellow shirt that lists the emojis and their purposes.

Her sheets are neon blue and her pillow case is neon green. She's trying to put a poster of a chihuahua puppy relatively high on the wall but is too short to reach. I scoff. How pathetic.

I get out of bed and ask, "Do you need help?"

She smiles at me and says, "Yeah, thanks." She hands me the poster and I promptly walk over to the trash can and throw it in. Her jaw drops in shock and I grin at her.

"I just helped you keep your dignity." I say and proceed to go back to my bed.

Denn walks to the trash can and takes the poster out. She brushes it off before deciding to just hang it up right above her bed, where she can reach. Then, she sits down on her bed and starts watching me.

"I know I'm attractive," I start, "But I would appreciate it if you would stop staring at me."

Denn immediately looks away. She stands up and says, "I'm going to go."

I smile. "Don't bother coming back."

Denn leaves, and I put my headphones on and continue reading my book.