Chapter 17: "Romantic'' Dinner!

Denn and I get back home around 7:00PM. I smile at her and ask, "Do you remember what's next?"
Denn smiles. "A romantic dinner, right?"

I shrug. "Actually, I brought home left over from Denny's." Denn's jaw drops and she hits my arm. I laugh while saying, "I'm sorry! I had to!"

Denn rolls her eyes and says, "It wasn't even THAT bad."
I smile at her. "But it wasn't as good as today has been, right?"

Denn look away while muttering, "No, it wasn't."
I smile and take out the spaghetti and ground beef I bought from the store.

I smile at Denn as I grab the large pot that I had also recently bought from the store. I fill it up with water as I point at the rest of the food. "What do you think about my choice of food?"

"It's better than Denny's," Denn grumbles causing me to laugh.
"Do you know why I picked this?" I ask.
"Because Italian food is amazing?"
"Well, that too." I say. "I bought this because of Lady and the Tramp." Denn gives me a confused look. "Oh come on! You have to know that movie! It's a classic!"

Denn looks at me, horrified. "Are you planning on doing the spaghetti thing?"
I laugh. "No. I feel like we'd somehow find a way to mess that up." Denn nods, relieved. "I just thought that the humble tramp should provide for the pretty lady," I say, while starting to cook.

"You're not a tramp," Denn says.
"I don't know. I'm pretty immoral." I say while making eye contact with Denn.
Denn looks away and says, "Let's not talk about that."
"Oh relax. I was just joking."

Denn sighs and says, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take it so offensively. I just-I don't know."
I smile and grab two plates. I pour the spaghetti onto each one and then add the tomato sauce.

Then, I expertly place the meatballs on top before walking over to Denn and setting it down. Denn smiles at me and I watch her as she takes her first bite.
Her eyes widen and she stifles out, "Oh my gosh!"

"What? What is it?"
"This is really good!" Denn says while trying to cover her mouth.
I smile. "I'm glad that you like it."
"Where did you learn to cook?"
I hesitate before answering. "Sky used to say that a woman who could cook is a sexy women." I say honestly.

Denn looks up at me and says, "Well, I beat Sky because I thought you were sexy before I found out that you could cook."
I laugh at that. "Cheers," I say while opening a bottle of red wine.
Denn covers her mouth and says, "Oh, no thanks. I'm only eighteen."
I smile and say, "And I'm nineteen."
"But then-how'd you-?"
"Oh relax. Just let yourself have a drink for one night. I promise that I won't let you go off the deep end."
Denn looks at me hesitantly as I pour her some of the wine. She grabs the glass and gives me one more hesitant look. I smile and nod at her.

She takes a deep breath before chugging the wine down.

After she's done she squints up her nose and makes a face. "I didn't like that," she says.
I laugh. "Was it not sweet enough?"

Denn shakes her head. "I need water," she says as she heads towards the sink. I just smile to myself as I note how different Sky the party animal and Denn the goody good are.