Chapter 16: Blindfold: The Surprise!

As soon as we get back in the car, I open the glove department. Denn stares at me curiously. "What are you doing?" She asks.

I smile and take out a blind fold. I hold it out to her and say, "Put it on."

"We're not done?" Denn asks.

I smile. "Of course not. I have to live up to what I promised you." Denn smiles and ties the blind fold on. "Can you see anything?" I ask.

"Nope," Denn responds.

"Good," I say.

"Where'd you get the blindfold?" Denn asks.

"From you," I say.

Denn nods. "I was wondering where that went."

_______________________________

I take off Denn's blind fold as soon as we arrive at the animal shelter.

As soon as Denn sees the sign, she squeals ecstatically. She starts to bounce up and down in her seat as I laugh to myself. "Come on. Let's go in." I say.

Denn definitely didn't need me to tell her twice. Before I know it, she's skipping up to the door. She gets there quite a while before me but surprisingly waits. "You are very energetic,"

I'm about to open the door when Denn says, "Wait."

"What?" I ask. "I thought that you'd want to-"

Denn swiftly leans in and kisses me on the cheek before walking into the shelter. I stand alone and put my hand on my cheek. Denn's lips are so soft. It was much different from Sky's. Sky and Denn are practically opposites. Sky was a rebel.

Everything about her was a bit course around the edges. I liked her for her stubbornness. She always stood up for what she believed in and never took anything from anyone. That's why the breakup hurt so much. She denied me. She denied ever feeling anything for me.

I feel someone tap on my shoulder and turn around to see Denn. "You okay?" She asks.

"Y-yeah." I stumble.

"Listen, I'm sorry if I rushed any-"

"No. It wasn't that. It's just-You're so different from Sky."

Denn looks at me curiously. "What do you mean?"

"Sky...Sky was like me. You know? She, uh, she was a heartbreaker: a rebel. If she wanted something, she found a way to get it."

"Is that how she got you?"

"Actually, yeah. I-I hadn't come out yet and I was terrified. But Sky-she convinced me to conquer my fears. So, one day, I went home and said 'Mom, dad, this is my girlfriend Sky.'"

"How'd that work out?"

"They kicked me out."

"Oh wow."

I smile. "But I didn't really mind. I still had Sky and that was all that mattered to me. I felt like we could conquer the world together."

"What happened?" Denn asks.

"One day, I tried to kiss her like usual and she just completely pulled away. She said that I was just an experiment, that she didn't really like me. It was all just an act. The next day, she was dating some random guy."

"That must've hurt."

I nod. "Tell me about it."

Denn grabs my hand. "Well, you know what always cheers me up?"

"What?"

"Puppies."

I roll my eyes as Denn drags me inside to play with the animals.