Chapter 5 - Let's Forget

“Louis,” I laughed as I chased him around their yard with a Nerf gun, “C’mere!” He ran fast and I couldn’t catch up to him. We ran all around the front yard, over the sprinkler and anything else laying around. Louis turned around and started shooting at me. I turned around and ran the other way, doing my best to get away from his aim. Liam, who was on my side, ran over to me and started shooting at Louis. Soon, Zayn and Niall joined in with Louis. Leaving Liam and I against Zayn, Louis and Niall.

We chased each other literally all around the house. We went to the backyard and then back to the front. Liam ran out of bullets and I was left all alone. He was collecting bullets from the ground as I tried escaping them. I wasn’t fast enough though. They kept shooting me and I couldn’t get away. I laughed the whole time.

I saw Harry run over to me, “Don’t worry Holly, I’ll save you!” He did his best impression of a superhero. Harry grabbed a fully loaded gun that we had forgotten about and started to shoot at the boys, but it wasn’t doing much. I ran away and forgot about the hose laying on the ground and I tripped over it. I laid there, “Oh, no! I’ve fallen!” I draped my arm over my face dramatically as I laid there. The boys were still shooting me at this point.

“Oh no! The princess has been shot!” Harry held in a laugh as he dropped to his knees next to me. I smiled, “No, save yourself!” I did my best hiding my laughter. Liam came over to me and sat on my other side. ”No, not the princess! Who will be our ruler?” He asked, fake crying, “Look what you’ve done!” He pointed to Louis. “This is all your fault. You should feel ashamed.” He glared at him, keeping a surprisingly straight face. “You have shot our princess.”

Niall smiled wickedly. ”I’m sorry for killing your precious princess, but I will be the new ruler!” He laughed evilly, and then giggled. He looked down at me and winked quickly.

“No, Princess Holly! You can’t die.” Harry began to fake cry, “We need you!” I giggled, “There’s just one more thing I want before I die.” I stated calmly, looking around at all the boys. Liam looked at me and smiled a little, knowing what I was going to do. “And what is that?” Louis asked as he stepped closer to me, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. Niall followed close behind him.

I coughed dryly, “This!” I sprang up onto my feet with the hose in my hand. I pulled the handle, spraying the boys with the cold water. They started running around but that didn’t help much, they still got drenched with the cool water. It was a pretty powerful hose. I wet Harry and Liam too, even though they were on my side. I think we all deserved it in some ways. Okay, maybe not, but it was very funny to see them running around trying to escape

“Hollyn, what was that for?!” Harry laughed. I shrugged, “You were standing there.”

I put the hose down and started walking back towards the house. That was a bad idea. Within seconds I was being soaked by water myself. I turned around to see Harry the hose. I ran up to him and tried getting the hose from his hands, which only made us even more wet. My foot started getting tangled in the hose and I fell on top of Harry. Of course I did.

“Oh no, the princess has fallen…. again!” Liam ran over and helped me up and away from all the awkward. I laughed, “Thanks.” I was completely soaked. I pulled on my shirt to try and get it to stop clinging to me. Every time I pulled on it, it just drooped back onto my wet body. I stared at my wet clothes.

“I need dry clothes now. Thanks Haz, I blame you!” I groaned as I helped him to his feet.

“Blame yourself, love.” He smirked. I was a little mad that my clothes were wet. “Now, I have to go home and change,” I pouted. I was in a really lazy mood and didn’t feel like going home and then driving back here, “Bye, guys. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“No, wait.” Louis grabbed my arm, “Why?”

“Cuz I’m wet, and I’m too lazy to come back.” I said honestly. My eyes were starting to feel a little heavy with every blink and I didn’t feel like standing anymore, which usually means I’ll be passing out soon. I was far from tired and hit exhausted a while ago.

“I have a few things of my sisters. She grew out of them and they look about your size.” Harry said. “Come on.” I followed him into the house along with the other boys. They went to their rooms to change and Harry gave me some things that were his sisters. I went to the bathroom and changed. I left my damp hair down and went to the living room with the boys. Harry came over and sat next to me on the couch. Louis was sitting on the floor with his phone and Niall, Zayn and Liam were playing a video game. I yawned, it was about seven and I was tired. We spent our whole day outside play fighting and having Nerf wars.

I leaned my head on Harry’s chest and he put his arm around me. It didn’t feel awkward, it actually felt normal. It felt right. I closed me eyes and listened to the boys bickering. Harry rubbed my arm gently causing me to look up at him. His curls fell gently over his green eyes and he had the biggest grin on his face. “What’s this?” I asked, picking up the little airplane charm with my fingers, examining it carefully. He placed his hand over mine and took it from my fingers as he looked at it, “My sister gave it to me.”

“Aw,” I cooed, still looking at it. He looked at my neck, looking at the two necklaces of my own. “What’s this?” He mocked, picking up the small, multi-colored sun charm around my neck. It was a cheap little necklace, but it meant everything to me. Without it I would be nothing. I wouldn’t have anything to live for. That simple necklace kept me going each and every day. I did what he did, placing my hand over his and grabbed the small charm, smiling as I looked at it.

“My dad gave this to us when were four, he had one just like it.” I remembered that day almost perfectly. It was autumn. My dad had just gotten home from work. We were sitting on the couch when our dad came over to us and gave us both a necklace. Mine with the sun and his with a moon. He told us we must never take them off, for they will keep us together even when we’re not. We will know that we’ll always be there, even if we can’t see each other. Little to my knowledge, he knew what would soon happen. He knew it’d be hard for us all. I haven’t taken mine off since that day, and I honestly don’t think I ever will. It’s a part of me, that I’ll never get rid of.

Harry’s curiosity struck, “You’re dad had the other necklace?” I guess the idea of a grown man wearing something like this was very funny, but he was wrong. My dad didn’t have a similar necklace.

“No, he didn’t.” I stated, letting the charm fall back to my chest next to the other one, that actually had no meaning at all. I just thought it was cute.

“Then who is ‘he’?” Harry asked. I looked down and closed my eyes, holding back a few tears. I cleared my throat and looked back up at Harry, smiling. “It’s not important.” I shrugged, blowing off that topic, hoping Harry would understand.

“Holl-“

“Really, it’s okay.” He noticed the hurt in my eyes. Even now, after all these years, it still hurt to talk about it. Whenever my mum would try to talk about it, I would go to my room or leave. I hated it. He gave me a stern look, “It’s nothing I want to talk about,” I said quietly, looking down at legs.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized quickly. I shook my head, “No, it’s not your fault. I’m fine. Don’t be sorry.” He wrapped his arm around me again and rubbed my arm slowly. I leaned my head against his chest, doing my best to think of something else. Anything to get my mind off it. I started biting my nail, not even realizing it. Harry looked down at me with a smile, and I looked at him slightly embarrassed. “Sorry, force of habit.” That’s what I did when I was upset. I bite my nails, not even realizing that I’m doing it. It just relaxes me, in a weird sort of way.

“It’s fine. Relax. You’re tired.” I moved my head to a more comfortable position and started drifting off into sleep. I could hear the boys fighting over the video game, and Harry telling everyone to let me rest. His grip got a little tighter around me for security. I didn’t mind. With his arm around me, I forgot about everything. I forgot about my dad, about the scholarship, about school, everything.