Chapter 10 - First Dates

I stood, looking at myself in the full length mirror in my bedroom. Tonight, Harry and I had that date. I’m not sure if it’d be considered a date, but that’s what Harry called it. Well, before he got nervous and added in the part where he said it didn’t have to be one. I smiled at my appearance. I dressed like myself. A pair of skinny jeans, a t-shirt with some add saying on it, and my beaten up pair of plain, black converse. I knew I looked fine, but I wasn’t a 100% confident. I wasn’t sure if we were going out publicly or not and I didn’t know if we’d be seen by fans. The fans here in Holmes Chapel were quite understanding though. They didn’t swarm in front of the house, and if they’d see them, they would either stay away or come up politely and talk or ask for a autograph.

I couldn’t stop thinking. Should I change? Do I look good enough? I let out a frustrated sigh, not sure what to do. I’ve never been on a date before. I was always that quiet girl in school. I wasn’t one of those social butterflies that talked to everyone, even if they hadn’t met them yet. Yeah, I talked. Sometimes, I’d talk a little too much, but I never had many friends.

“Oh, that girl’s weird.”

“I think she’s hiding something.”

“No one likes her.”

I’ve heard it all. It stopped me bothering me though. I got used to it. People shouldn’t have to get used to it though. They should tell people about it, but I went through so much that nothing could hurt me. I ignored it. I didn’t let it get to me. I pushed myself away. Like I did with most things.

“You look beautiful,” I heard behind me. I looked up into the mirror and saw my mum in the doorway. She had a warm smile on her face and she looked over my outfit approvingly. I smiled back, pushing my nerves away few a few minutes. “Thanks,” I played with my hair, pulling it up as if I was putting it in a ponytail, and then letting it fall back against my back. She walked over to me, “Here.” She fixed the hem of my shirt. “All better.”

“What are you guys gonna do?” She asked, all mother-like. She’s never really had a chance to do that kind of thing.

“Um,” I thought about what we’d do. “Well, knowing him…” I trailed off, thinking again. “I don’t know, actually.” I giggled. Harry was certainly a confusing one. She laughed, “He’s a nice boy. I’m sure whatever he has planned will be fun.” She rubbed my shoulder gently, “I see the way he looks at you. He’s good for you.” She was right. Harry was good. He was way different than all the boys I’ve met. He’s sweet and caring. All the boys at my school are just flat out pigs. Slapping girls asses as they walk by, making comments. No! It’s just wrong and disgusting. Girls shouldn’t have to deal with that. Maybe that’s another reason why I starting to have feelings for him. Maybe that’s why I made friends with all the boys. They were all different.

My phone started to buzz all over the place. I reached over and grabbed it, reading the new message.

I bet you look hot. xx - Louis

Of course it was from Louis, being his weird, childish self.. I laughed as I replied.

LOUIS! -_- Do you by any chance know where is taking me? -Hollyn

I held my phone in my hand as I waited for his reply. Within 30 seconds I was reading his reply.

Sorry, love, but that will remain a secret. -Louis

I let out a groan, but I smiled too. Louis may have been a lot of things. He was loud and obnoxious, but he was very sweet and trustworthy. He wasn’t a tattle tale. He’d take your secret to the grave if you’d ask him. I placed my phone in my pocket, and looked myself over once more before heading downstairs to answer the door.

The moment I opened the door, I was greeted by his ear-to-ear grin, and those shocking green eyes. Those eyes that I fell in love with just from looking at a picture of them. Those eyes that could get me to smile, no matter my mood. Happy, sad, mad. Don’t matter, I’d smile. “Hey, Hollyn.” He said, not removing that cheeky grin from his face.

“Hi,” I said shyly. My mum waved as I looked back at her, and I waved goodbye, leaving with Harry. He took me to this pizza place in town. I haven’t gone there since I was younger. So many good memories were made there. Some with the family, others with just my mum and I. Now, another memory was made here. My first date. My date with Harry Styles from One Direction. Not that that was the only reason I agreed to going on the date, but just stating that it was with him, and I honestly believe that I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. I’m glad my first date was with him, and hopefully it’s not my last.

As we left the small place, we started walking down the stoned streets. “Wanna see something?” He asked, “I think you’ll like it.” I nodded, as he reached out his hand to me. I looked at him in confusion. “C’mon, hold my hand. I won’t bite.” I was a bit hesitant, but I reached my hand out, and he intertwined our fingers together gently.

“What is it?” I asked, as we walked. He shook his head slightly, “It’s a secret.” He said with a cheeky grin. I rolled my eyes, “That’s exactly what Louis told me. Can’t I have a small clue?”

“You asked Louis?” He asked.

I nodded, “But he wouldn’t tell me anything,” I mumbled. Harry chuckled, “Well, you’re gonna like it, and it’s beautiful.”

“That’s it?” I asked, and he nodded a response. Now I started getting curious. Once I started thinking about something. I had to figure it out. I had to know. I started remembering where we were. Of course we were still in Holmes Chapel, but I haven’t been here in a while. I figured out he was taking me to the lake. There was this small lake, just outside of town. It had this small dock, where my dad would take us when we were younger. He liked taking us to see the sunset. Tuck had only just started getting sick at the time, and our dad wanted us to see it together, before it was too late. I didn’t tell Harry I knew where we were going. I let him have his moment.

We got closer, and now the lake was in our view. I pulled my hand out of Harry’s grip and ran to the dock. Harry ran to catch up to me, and we stood watching the water. “I love this place.” I smiled, moving the hair out of my face.

“You’ve been here too?” He asked.

I nodded, “My dad… Tuck…” I tried getting it out, but I just couldn’t. I let it go, and so did he. Harry sat down, letting his legs dangle above the water. I did the same.

“Can I tell you something?” I asked quietly. Looking down at the water, as it rippled silently, only a foot under us. He didn’t say anything, but I knew he wanted me to go on. I took a deep, steady breath. “I..I have a really hard time trusting people.” I started with something he already knew. Something I had already told him. I may have never said those exact words, but I have said it. It was in what I’ve told him. My story. My secret. How I didn’t let anyone in my life, and I’d push myself and then away. Not wanting to get to close. He nodded slowly, waiting to see if I’d say more. “I just,” I closed my eyes, “I just wanted you to know that I trust you. I really do. I trust all the boys, but….” I trailed off, feeling an arm wrap around me and pulling me closer to him.

“Can I tell you something?” He asked softly. I nodded my head, as I leaned it on his chest. “I meant what I said a few weeks ago.”

“What do you mean?” I honestly didn’t remember. I just remember telling Harry, which led to the other boys knowing.

“What I said that day. How I told you that I’d never hurt you, or leave…. if I was your boyfriend.” He stated, sending shivers down my spine. “Even if I wasn’t. I wouldn’t dream of hurting you like that. You know that… right?” He asked me.

“I know, Harry.” I looked up at him. I smiled slightly. It wasn’t a full on smile, but it was something. He looked down, with the same expression, “I know.”