Chapter 6 - In The Night

I slowly opened my eyes, only to be met with darkness. I was still on the couch in the boys’ living room, except Harry wasn’t here. I rolled over onto my back and stared up at the ceiling, collecting my thoughts. I closed my eyes and listened to the silence of the house. Upstairs, I could hear the sound of one of the boys snoring. I’m almost positive that it’s Niall, but it could’ve also be Harry. Or both.

My eyes soon adjusted to the darkness and I looked around the dimly lit room. The only light was from a small nightlight type of thing that came from the kitchen, so it was rather dark. I was a little startled to see the silhouette of one of the boys on the other couch fast asleep with a phone in their hand. Who was it? I stood up and stretched my arms out, high above my head and then behind my back. I slowly made my way across the room, realizing someone had taken my shoes off. I walked towards the figure asleep on the couch.

It was Louis. What was he doing? I got down on my knees next to the couch and gently shook his shoulder. He stirred slightly, but he was still fast asleep. I played around with his hair and pinched his cheeks. He slowly opened his eyes, realizing I was trying to wake him. He rubbed his eyes gently and turned to me.

“What are you doing here?” My voice filled with sleep. His squinted his eyes, adjusting them to the darkness as well. He put his hand on my face and felt all around. Touching my nose, mouth and cheeks, causing me to smile. It was really hard seeing much in the darkness, let alone a face, even if we were close. “I didn’t want to leave you down here by yourself.” He sat up, allowing me to sit next to him. “You looked really upset before, and when one of my sisters goes to sleep upset they’d wake up with nightmares.” I smiled at how much he cared for me. He treated me like on of his sisters. Ever since the first day we met at the studio, where he told me we were going to be best friends. “Also, I had trouble falling asleep,” He added.

“Thanks boobear.” I used his nickname. The one that Zayn had told me about once. The one that his mum always called him and he hates when people use it, other than me. He only lets me call him that. Louis is like… like a brother to me, in a weird kind of sense. Like a brother… I never thought I’d say that about anyone. I don’t know why, it just felt weird. It was different. Way different.

I leaned over and grabbed Louis’ phone from his hand and checked the time. 3:24 am, it read. I handed his phone back to him. “I think I’m gonna go home now.” I stood up and patted his head as I turned to look for my shoes. I felt a tug on the back of my shirt and turned to face Louis. “It’s late. You’re not leaving.” He said sternly. I pouted, “But why?” I asked, as I turned my head around the room, finally spotting my shoes under the coffee table.

“I don’t wanna be alone!” He whined. I laughed and sat back down next to him. “What about Harry?” I asked him, knowing that Harry and him were very close. He pulled me closer to him, into a hug, and leaned his head on mine. Louis is never like this. He never has trouble sleeping. He can fall asleep anywhere, in any situation. I wish I was like that sometimes. “Is something wrong, Louis?” I asked, even though I had already known there was. He nodded, but didn’t say anything.

“Louis,” I said, sympathetically, ”what is it?” He didn’t answer. We both just sat there in silence, I waited patiently for a response. “Eleanor and I had a bit of a row, that’s all.”

“Oh,” I whispered carefully. ”Do you wanna talk about it?” I asked. He shook his head, but gave in anyway. ”She misses me.” He said quietly. I squeezed my arms around him a little tighter.

We sat in silence as we thought. “Why doesn’t she fly out here?”

“I tried telling her that, but she wouldn’t let me talk. She just kind of screamed the whole time.” He explained to me. I nodded, taking it all in.

“Is that why I found you sleeping on the couch, love?” I closed my eyes. The sleep was starting to take over my body again. I felt weak and paralyzed as the sleep crept around the corner.

“Yeah, it is.” I heard him say. He, too, was half asleep. I couldn’t reply, my body wouldn’t let me. I fell asleep listening to Louis’ light snoring. I had a lot of trouble staying asleep though. I was comfortable but I just couldn’t sleep. I didn’t want to leave, but I also didn’t want to bother the boys. I sat on the couch that I was originally on and watched Louis sleep. I washed as he peacefully breathed in and out. His chest rising and falling every few seconds. It calmed me, in a way.

So many things were running through my mind. Eleanor and Louis were such a lovely couple. I didn’t want them to break up because I knew how much Louis loved her, and I’m sure she loved him just as much. I also thought about Harry. I thought about my feelings for him; if I really had any to begin with, or it was just from the way he’s been treating me. No boy has ever treated me the way he has. He stayed. I thought about my past. All the things that I’ve gone through in my life. I wondered what it would be like if everything went differently. If certain things didn’t happen and if everything took the other path. Where would I be then?

Then my thoughts drifted to the boys. All of them. Would I ever tell them about my past. It was a big part of me, of course, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to tell them, or anyone for that matter. I couldn’t. It was just too painful. I have this huge empty hole in my heart. I wasn’t hurt just once, but twice. All in the same year too. It was just too much, for my dad and I. Now, I see why my life is the way it is. Everything had to hit at once. It didn’t come slowly, and no one could ever prepare for that kind of thing.

We all knew it was going to happen. We knew since birth. Well… they did anyway. There is no time slot for that. It just happens. If life gave us time to prepare, I think we’d all go mad.