Chapter 1 - No Exceptions

“That was wonderful!” My mother clapped as I finished one of my dance routines for her. I smiled, bowing dramatically. I couldn’t help but smile. My mother loved when I would dance for her in our living room. It made her proud.

I’ve been dancing since the age of 3. I did mostly ballet and hip hop. Now, I know what your thinking. It’s an odd combo, but those two just interest me more.

“Holly, I don’t know why you don’t want to-“

“No, mum. I can’t.” I said, running a hand through my hair. “All the kids at my school are jocks. I’m the only one who isn’t into sports.”

“Holly,” My mum said softly.

“This is my secret. I just want to keep it that way.” I said lightly.

I’ve always been a shy person. I barely spoke in school and I had one really good friend. She was always there for me when I needed her. She and my mum were the only two people who knew that I danced. I always kept that a secret. I felt like if people knew I danced, they’d make fun of me. Everybody was sporty in my school. Dancing was my escape from everything.

I thought about what my dance instructor, Felicity, told us.

“Mum, I have great news!” I practically screamed. She smiled and waited for me to go on. “Felicity told us we were going to meet some band for this music video thing!” I couldn’t hold in my excitement. I always wanted to be in a music video.

She ran over to me and pulled me into a hug, “Oh, Hollyn. I knew you could do it. Oh, if your father was here he’d be so proud.” She released me from her arms and kissed my forehead.

“So, what band?” She asked, sounding as excited as me.

“I don’t remember. They are kinda new.” I shrugged, trying to remember the name.

“Well, when do you meet them?” She asked me.

“Tomorrow’s class! I can’t wait.” I yawned. She walked up behind me and patted me shoulders.

“Off to bed, love.” She smiled. “Your tired, and you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow.” I laughed. She would always say that when I was younger.

I relaxed into my small twin sized bed and fell asleep dreaming about dancing in a music video. Felicity showed me a picture of them. I don’t really remember their faces too well, but I remember one of them. He had curly hair and these green eyes, that just captured you. Actually, that’s all I really remember about the rest of the boys. Their eyes. Two of them had blue eyes, and two had brown eyes, but that one guy with the green eyes. I know it was only a picture but I couldn’t get those eyes out of my head.

I closed my eyes ready for sleep and the first thing I saw was those eyes again. He had curly hair and his smiled, my god his smile. I couldn’t stop thinking about him.

What was his name, though? I need to know.

I shook the thoughts out of my head. I couldn’t let a boy get to me. I’m in my last year of high school, I need a dance scholarship. I’m so close. I can feel it. A boy would just distract me. I didn’t need that.

As I dreamt I couldn’t get his eyes out of my head. That’s all I thought of the whole night. No exceptions, I thought.

No exceptions.