Chapter 11 - Let Me Be Myself

Now, I told my mum everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything. The only thing I won’t talk about with her is my feelings. I’d tell her about my day at school, my classes, dance, an odd bird I had seen on my walk home. Everything! I just crossed a line at how I felt. I just didn’t find the need to tell her those things. I’d be fine on my own. I can do it. I didn’t need her for that.

Once I got home, I changed into something more comfortable, and walked back downstairs to sit with my mum and eat some ice cream. I told what Harry and I did. How we ate and then went to the lake, where we talked a bit. She loved every second of it. To be able to talk to your anti-social 18 year old daughter, and talk about her first date, probably made her the happiest mother ever. It made me happy, to see her happy. I hadn’t really seen her smile, a real smile, not one of those I’m-hurting-but-don’t-want-to-show-it kinda smiles. A real one. A happy smile.

“Are you guys dating, now, or..” She trailed off, taking another spoonful of ice cream and eating it. I shook my head, as I placed a forkful of ice cream into my mouth as well. Yes, I said forkful. Spending so much time around the boys did that to me. I got so used to only using forks, that I did it at home too. My mother didn’t say anything bad about it, but she’d always smile and say, “Those boys are rubbin’ off on ya’,” in her posh accent. I’d just nod and smile.

“We’re not dating, mum.” She nodded, with a cheesy grin. I furrowed my eyebrows, “What are you thinking…?” I questioned.

She shook her head with a smile, “Nothing, nothing.” That caused me to ask another question.

“C’mon, ask.” I urged her. She put her hand out, “Alright,” she placed her hand on my forearm, “Would you date him?” My eyes widened as she asked. I dropping my fork, causing it to hit against the bowl.

“Well?” She asked, after I hadn’t said anything. I blushed, looking down at my half-eaten bowl of ice-cream. “I don’t know…” I said quietly.

I really wasn’t sure. I mean, yes. I do like him, and yes. I do trust him, but there’s always that chance. That chance that he’ll leave. We’re what, 18? Yeah. He has all the time in the world to find ‘the one.’ I’m just… me. I’m not famous, I can’t do anything special. I can dance, but I’m not widely known. I don’t go on tours, or signings, or interviews. I’m just a regular girl, living a regular life. Harry could find someone famous, and prettier than me. He’ll just leave.

“Can I stay here tonight, mum? I don’t feel like driving.” I sighed lazily, as I ran a hand through my messed up hair. She smiled sweetly before saying, “This house is, and always will be yours. You can stay here whenever you need to. Alright?” I smiled, and climbed the stairs to my room.

When I woke up it was only about 10, so I got ready and left the house. Leaving mum a not before I did so I wouldn’t worry her. I went home, showered, and sat on my couch watching the television. My head was pounding. I didn’t even want to move. What could’ve given me this headache? I thought to myself. And then I realised something. My glasses. I got up and looked all around my flat for them, but they were no where. I grabbed my phone and dialled Niall’s number, letting it ring a few times before he picked up.

I skipped the hello’s and how are you’s and just went straight to my question. “Have you seen my glasses? Did I leave them there?” The pain was really starting to take over, and I knew it was because I needed my glasses. I really only needed them for reading and close up things, but sometimes if I didn’t wear them for a long period of time, I’d get a headache. An unbearable one.

“Urm, hold on.” Niall said, before I heard rustling on the other end of the line. I kept looking as I waited for him to respond. They weren’t in my room, or the kitchen, or, “Found ‘em!” His Irish accent rang in my ear, causing me to wince slightly.

“Thank God.” I exclaimed. “Can I come get them? I think I might die without them today.”

“Sure! We miss you, it’s been a whole 48 hours.” I giggled.

“Okay, see you in like 10 minutes.” It normally wouldn’t take me that long to get to their house, but I was going to drive slow so I don’t kill myself or someone else. Ya know… just to be on the safe side.

As I walked up the steps of the house, i nearly fell into the door, but caught my balance before I hit anything. I definitely needed those glasses of mine. I knocked on the door gently. Within seconds I was greeted by blond hair, and blue eyes. Niall.

“Holly!” He yelled, pulling me into a hug. I winced in his arms, “Ow,” I said weakly.

“Sorry, c’mon, they’re in the kitchen.” I followed him into the kitchen of their house, and he handed me my glasses. With no hesitations I placed them over my eyes and sighed.

“You’re a life saver.” I sighed happily, my eyes feeling better and the headache started to subside already.

“Well, I do try.” Niall said smugly. I lightly pushed his shoulder. We walked over to the couch, where he sat regularly and I laid back with my legs over his lap. “So, tell me,” He began, causing me to open my eyes and look at him as he spoke. “How was your date with Harry?”

“Amazing,” I smiled, closing my eyes again. Niall tapped on my legs gently, as if he was playing the drums. I laughed at his silliness. “We got pizza and then walked down to the lake.” I explained quietly, not wanting to start my headache up again.

“The one at the end of town?”

I nodded, smiling as I remembered the night before. The first time I felt wanted. The time that I felt that someone wanted me around them…besides my mum. I wasn’t pushing him away like I’d do to everyone else. I felt if I did push Harry away, I’d regret it. Actually, I knew I’d regret it. I’ve never trusted anyone as much as I trust him. And if I have, it hasn’t been for a real long while. I think maybe I trust him a little too much…? Yes… No… I don’t know… All I know is that I could be myself around Harry and the boys, and that’s all I really want.

Is to be myself.