Chapter 9 - Simple Questions

I’ve gotten closer to Harry. A year ago, I would’ve said maybe a little too closer, but not now. I didn’t mind being closer to him. Everything is different now. I’ve been doing much better and I don’t get upset as much anymore. Telling them was definitely a good thing. I stopped distancing myself from everyone, my mum and the boys. They didn’t deserve to be pushed away because of something that happened a long time ago. I’ve realized that I can’t hide away forever. I can’t sit around and wait for things to fall into place on their own. That’s not going to happen. Life doesn’t work that way. You have to get up and do it yourself. That’s what life is; It’s doing what makes you happy, and not letting anything stand in your way. You can’t let your past drag you down with it. You can’t let it ruin your future, or your past for that matter. Yeah, it will always be a part of you, but that doesn’t mean you can let it destroy you, like I let it destroy me.

Niall and I have gotten way closer. We liked the same kind of things. Music and food, and those little things in between. We had that same laid back personality that makes people drowsy just by looking at us. We slept whenever we could, and ate a little too much. That’s how we liked it. Yeah, Louis and I were still friends, but he can’t stop making jokes to have a real conversation with. Niall was funny and rambunctious, but he could also be very serious when he needed to be. That’s what I liked about him. He was fun and brother-like. Protective and caring. He’s my go-to person when I need to talk. I could talk to him about anything. From movies and games to Tucker and my dad. I spent more time with him than I did with any of the other boys. Okay, that’s not true. More than Liam, Louis and Zayn, but not more than Harry. I talked to all the boys and we all enjoyed each others company, but there was something about Harry that I couldn’t resist. Maybe it was his eyes. Those eyes that I’ve always been mesmerized by, even before I had met him.

Last week, exactly one week after my birthday, the boys helped me buy my own apartment. They insisted on it. They even payed for more than half of it. I could’ve paid for it on my own, but they said no. After hours of arguing over who’s paying, I gave in. They weren’t going to give up anyway. It was only a block away from the boys, so I could still spend time with them whenever I wanted to.

I didn’t stop dancing either. Felicity gave me a job as one of the instructor’s for the hip-hop classes. I worked on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Tuesdays, I worked with 6 and 7 year old, and on Saturdays I worked with teenagers of all ages. It was one big group or kids, who I shared a passion of dancing with. Either way I loved my job, whether I worked with little kids or teenagers around my age.

Dancing is, and always will be, a big part of my life. It basically saved me. It was a distraction. It got me out of the house. Away from all the quiet. It got me away from the memories. It was a distraction from life. From Tucker, or Tuck as I used to call him. A distraction from the tears my mum would cry, ever years after his death. Whether they were for Tuck or my father, I had to get away from it. I had to get out of the house. Away… just for a little while. Dancing got me away from everything. Dancing took me to a whole other world. A safe one.

Ever since I told the boys about my past, it’s been different. The acted careful around me. Still the same, but careful. Careful of their actions. Careful of their words. They assured me daily how we’d always be friends, and they’d never leave me. We’d always have each other. I wouldn’t have to worry. I knew they had a tour coming up in about two months or so, but they’d be back. They would be gone only for a little while. It’s not for forever. It wasn’t permanent. They will come back.

I spent more of my days at the boys’ house. That’s how I liked it. Relaxing with the boys, wasting my summer away. Sitting, as they bickered on and on about absolute rubbish. Girls, music, programs, and, of course, the tour.

I sat in the living room, with the boys, listening to my ipod.. The volume on low so I could hear the boys and anything else around me. “I bed to differ…” Louis went on as Zayn and him talked about some movie. Niall and Liam had just left, not even a minute ago, to pick up the pizza we had ordered.

I closed my eyes as I sang along quietly to the song. “Oh well, oh well, I still hope for the best. Say goodbye and send me off with a kiss farewell. And I promise I’ll be just as strong as I could be. Maybe you can get some sleep… tonight.” I opened my eyes to see Zayn, Louis and Harry looking at me with smiled on there faces. “Yes?” I asked the three pairs of staring eyes.

“I didn’t know you could sing.” Zayn said. Louis and Harry nodded in agreement, “Yeah, you’re voice is beautiful.” Louis added.

I chuckled and shook my head, “Nah, I’m more of a… dancing kinda person.” They laughed along with me.

“Zayn, Zayn.” Niall ran into the house, frantically calling for the tan-skinned boy. Zayn turned his attention to Niall. “We have a flat tire!” Niall looked close to tears, causing everyone to laugh a bit. Zayn stood up, “Aw, don’t your little blond head. I’ll help, I’ll help.” He chuckled as he stood up, following a panicked Niall outside to help Liam and him with the tire.

Louis and Harry went on with the conversation as I continued listening to music. I looked, startled from my music, to see Louis fumbling for his phone. He stood up, patting his pockets until he hit something with his hands. Finally finally finding and picking up his phone. “Hello?” He asked into his phone, before he even checked the caller I.D.

“Eleanor? … Yeah, hold on!” He smiled and signaled us, telling Harry and I that he’d be moving to another room. Louis left to talk to Eleanor on the phone, leaving Harry and I alone. I went back to going through my long list of songs, and Harry shifted his attention towards me. The only sound being Zayn yelling at Niall to stop getting in the way from outside, filled the room. I picked a song and lowered the volume a little more to be able talk to Harry and still be able to listen to the music.

“How’re you doing?” He asked casually. It’s been two weeks since I had told the boys, two weeks since my 18th birthday, and in that two weeks my life changed drastically and I’ve been a lot better. My head has been clear. I think less of my past and more of my future. I wasn’t as strict with my “No Exception” rule. I was finally thinking that my life could only get better from here, and it was. It really was.

“Better,” I smiled, “Much better.” Harry smiled with me, but it wasn’t one of his signature smiles. It was different. It was a nervous, uneasy smile. He seemed nervous.

“Good.” He shook his hair around with his hands and pushed it to the side. I smiled, and sub-consciously flipped my hair to the side as well. I parted my hair to the left, unlike Harry who pushes it to the right. “Can I ask you something?” He asked. I could tell he was nervous on the inside, but outside he was as calm as ever. I smirked as he kept his cool.

I nodded with a giggle, “You just did, love.” I chirped. He shot me a glare, “Not this again,” He rolled his eyes playfully. I gave him my best puppy face, doing my best not to smile, “I’m trying to be serious.” He said in a low, deep voice.

I apologized, “Sorry, go ‘head. Ask away.” I said while I played with the cord of my headphones.

He took in a big breath, “I know you have that rule,” He started. “That no boy rule.”

“No exceptions.” I added.

“No exceptions.” He corrected himself. “Anyway, I just… urm.. was wondering if I can take you out.”

“Like on a date?” I asked. I thought about it. What could it hurt? I was starting to loosen myself with my rules.

“It doesn’t necessarily have to be a date. We could just do something together. The two of us.” He added nervously.

I really did like Harry. I liked him more than a friend. More than a best friend. I still wasn’t sure if I could handle a relationship yet, but one date can’t hurt. I was willing to try. For him and myself. I wanted to be able to do this. Like I’ve said, I can’t push everything away for ever.

“Why not?!”