Moving In ((Cake))

5:12pm
Apt. 425

Luke had moved into the apartment at the beginning of the summer, finding it in the perfect location in relation to everything he needed in life. He had everything planned out from class schedules to his work shifts.

The only thing he didn't plan on was his best friend needing to "crash" at his place for an extended amount of time.

It wasn't like Calum planned this either, but he also didn't plan on his landlord kicking him out of his apartment complex.

Or, technically, his landlord's boyfriend.

The day she kicked him out of the apartment, Calum thought she was kidding. I mean who would take their landlord seriously if she told them the cause was 'complaints about frequent public indecency on the balcony.'

Unfortunately, this caused her to take alternate means to his eviction.

Sofie, the landlord, was genuinely a nice person. Brought him cookies when she baked too many, made him cupcakes for his birthday, she even let him be as late as he needed to be on his rent. Of course Calum wouldn't think that her boyfriend was going to show up at his door to kick him out. Especially not at 3 in the morning.

"How many boxes do you have?" Luke said, placing the 5th box of Calum's stuff in the living area.

"About 4 more." Calum said, placing his own box next to the rest of the stack.

Luke sighed before making his way down the stairs, wondering how much stuff Calum actually needed to survive.

Also wondering how the elevator just happened to be broken on the day that a lot of heavy lifting needed to happen.

He looked at Calum's boxes on the sidewalk, wondering why there was only 1 box in front of him, instead of 4.

"Didn't I tell you not to be a cheap-ass and let the cab driver run the meter until we unpacked everything?" Luke looked over at his friend, who was cleaning his sunglasses as he came out of the door.

"That guy was creepy. He kept checking out my boobs." Calum smiled, finally getting Luke to lighten up.

"So what's missing?" Luke asked, picking up the only box remaining.

"Just junk I probably didn't need anyway." Calum opened the door, to find an older looking woman on the stairs, smoking a cigarette.

"Nice tattoo." She said, scooting over so they could get by.

"Thanks." He said. Calum couldn't think of anything to say to her, so he just left it at that.

Luke, who was getting tired of walking behind Calum and his slow stair climbing and the smell of cigarette smoke, shoved the pointed end of the box into Calum's back.

"This box is heavy if you haven't noticed." Luke pretended to groan a little louder than he should have, earning an odd look from the woman on the stairs.

Calum picked up his pace up the last couple of stairs.

As he brought the box inside, Luke realized he hadn't gotten around to completing his to-do list since classes started the next day.

"Mate, you need food, badly." Calum yelled from inside the kitchen area.

"Let's go get some then." Luke grabbed his keys and the grocery list written on an old receipt.

For the next hour, the boys walked around the grocery store, trying to figure out what took the least amount of effort to cook. Every now and again, one of them would make a comment about needing to get a girl in their lives who new more than how to make cheese toasties and oven pizza.

At the end of their grocery trip, they had more bags then they anticipated, which only made their walk seem longer.

"Classes start tomorrow." Luke said, more to himself than Calum.

"Yeah, I know. I spent like three hours in the sign up office doing transcripts and stuff." Calum thought about how annoying it was that he had to stay there all day, rather than enjoy his day in the city.

"Did you do your schedule?" Luke adjusted the bags on his arm. He could see the red marks forming.

"The guy wouldn't let me leave until it was done." Calum rolled his eyes.

They both walked in silence for a little while, watching the sun set at an incredibly slow rate behind the city skyline.

"Where the hell is your car?" Calum finally asked.

"Don't have one." Luke could finally see the apartment building in the distance.

"Why not?" Calum figured that everyone had a car, even if he didn't.

"Because there's walking and the subway." Luke said as they got to the building door.

They looked at each other, trying to figure out who had less bags to get the keys out of Luke's back pocket.

"You got this, mate." Luke said, already deciding it was his roommate's job to do the honors.

"Dammit." Calum muttered as he moved bags around on his arm. He had to make sure he remembered the call box number in case he was ever locked out.

When they finally got through the door, they noticed a girl holding a gas station cup and a very small lamp. She started leaning against the wall, trying to be smooth, and ended up misjudging the distance.

She dropped her cup in order to have a free hand to catch herself.

"Fuck." She half whispered when she realized the complete mess she just made.

They contemplated helping her until they heard a voice on one of the higher floors halfway yell something about a vase with a naked lady on it.

The girl quickly ran past them up the stairs, stepping inside of apartment 317.

Luke looked at the blue door, wondering how long they had been there because he had never noticed her before.

{A.N.}

Wey Hey for roomates. 

THe girls are up next and then we're done with inrtoductary chapters!

So less than a month before school starts and at the same time that I want summer to continue for longer, I also want to see who is in my classes with me. ANyone else? No? Okay. I can roll with that. 

The world's an ugly place, but you're so beautiful to me.