Chapter 7: The Yule Ball

Aria stood in front of the mirror in her dormitory admiring her dress

Aria stood in front of the mirror in her dormitory admiring her dress. She had never felt more confident and beautiful in any other piece of clothing. The theme for the outfit was diamonds. The dress was a beautiful shade of silver with light blue sparkles sprinkled throughout. It had a corset which was studded with fake diamonds. It was off the shoulder with the sleeves being a light blue ribbon. The bottom of the dress was a short skirt with much tulle making it feel like a tutu. However, the skirt was longer in the back and went down to Aria's ankles. The skirt was also lined with a light blue ribbon at the hem. Aria wore silver heels and blue diamond shaped earrings and necklace. Her hair was curled and pinned so that it stayed swept to one shoulder. She looked beautiful but as Hermione tightened Aria's corset she could tell something was bothering Aria.

"This dress looks stunning on you." Hermione said as she tightened the light blue ribbon on the back of the corset.

"Thank you." Aria replied.

"What is it?" Hermione asked as she finished with Aria's dress. Aria turned around to face her.

"Harry asked me to the ball." Aria replied.

"He did?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, and I had to tell him-" Aria started before clever Hermione cut her off.

"That Cedric had already asked you." Hermione replied. She sat down on her bed and Aria took a seat next to her.

"I feel bad." Aria said, looking at her hands.

"Don't feel bad." Hermione reassured, "He and Ron managed to find dates."

"I just got to thinking, what would've happened if he had asked me first?" Aria replied. She truly didn't know the answer to this question. She would've loved to go with Harry. But then again, she was quite happy to be going with Cedric.

"Ron was going to ask me." Hermione admitted.

"Really?" Aria asked, quite interested.

"Yes, but as a last resort, of course." Hermione said annoyed, "He wasn't very nice about it. This was after Viktor had asked me."

"Boys." Aria smiled, rolling her eyes.
------------------------------------
Outside the Great Hall, many guests were meeting up with their dates and Harry and Ron were among those. They had ended up asking Parvati and Padma Patil, the twin sisters in Gryffindor who seemed to really fancy Harry. Ron, dressed in untidy and frankly, ghastly dress robes proceeded into the Great Hall with a reluctant Padma. Harry stayed behind with Parvati. Harry did not really want to be going with Parvati as she would soon guess. However, he was still as polite as he had always been.

Parvati turned around to face the staircase leading to the Great Hall. Hermione and Aria turned the corner and walked down together. The trails of their dresses cascading as they did so. Harry noticed that Parvati's attention was somewhere else and he looked to see what had caught her attention and then he saw, taken back by how beautiful his friends looked.