Chapter 8: The Egg and the Eye

It was the first day that class was back in session from winter break, and Harry and Aria stood on the long bridge, over the black lake at Hogwarts

It was the first day that class was back in session from winter break, and Harry and Aria stood on the long bridge, over the black lake at Hogwarts. The icy chill of February had them both wearing their coats and Gryffindor scarves.

"Harry, you told me you had the egg figured out weeks ago." Aria said, concerned, "The task is two days from now."

"Really? I had no idea." Harry said, annoyed, "I suppose Cedric already has it figured out."

"Harry, if there's something you have to say to me, then say it." Aria replied as Harry wasn't looking at her.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Well," Aria continued cautiously, "I couldn't help but notice that you've been treating me differently ever since the Yule Ball."

"Well it wasn't the greatest experience." said Harry, "Oh look, here comes your boyfriend now." Aria looked up to see Cedric making his way towards the two of them.

"Hey, beautiful." Cedric said, kissing Aria on the cheek. He then looked to Harry, "Potter, how are you?"

"Spectacular." Harry said, bitterly.

"Look I realize I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons."

"Forget about it." Harry said, turning to leave, "I'm sure you would have done the same for me."

"Exactly." Cedric said, stopping him, "You know the prefects' bathroom on the fifth floor?" Harry nodded. "It's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water."
------------------------------------
Twas the night before the second task and Harry had finally figured out the egg clue. With Cedric's advice, he figured out that he needed to listen to the egg underwater to receive the clue rather than a high shrieking sound. Now, him, Ron, Hermione, and Aria were all in the library trying to figure out how to help Harry through the task.

"Harry, tell me again." Hermione said, pacing as Ron and Aria flipped through various books.

"Come seek us where our voices sound." Harry quoted the egg's clue.

"The black lake, that's obvious." Hermione replied.

"An hour long you'll have to look."

"Again obvious, though I must admit potentially problematic." said Hermione.

"Potentially problematic?" Harry said, "When was the last time you held your breath under the water for an hour, Hermione?"

"Look, Harry, we can do this." Hermione encouraged, "The four of us can figure it out."

"Hate to break up this scholar session," the four turned to see Professor Moody standing between the bookshelves, "but Professor McGonagall would like to see you in her office. Not you Potter, just Weasley, Granger, and Ashborn."

"But sir," Aria started, "the second task is only hours away and..."

"Exactly." Moody replied, "Presumably Potter is well prepared by now and could do with a good night's sleep." Aria nodded and her, Ron, and Hermione all walked past Moody to McGonagall's office. When they entered they found to their surprise that there were several people in the room. McGonagall sat at her desk. Behind her, at her fireplace were the three headmasters: Dumbledore, Maxime, and Karkaroff. Barty Crouch Sr. was also there, awaiting the arrival of the three students. Gabrielle Delacour, Fleur's sister, was standing in front of McGonagall's desk.

"Ah, here they are." McGonagall noted as Ron, Hermione, and Aria took their places next to Gabrielle.

"Is something wrong professor?" Aria asked.

"On the contrary, my dear." said Mr. Crouch, "Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Barty Crouch Sr., I work for the ministry. The second task of the tournament calls for our champions to rescue the people most dear to them and that's you four."

"Rescue?" asked Ron.

"Yes," Crouch continued, "the four of you will be in an enchanted sleep and put under the water for our champions to find."

"Enchanted sleep?" Gabrielle asked.

"I assure you, it's quite safe." said Crouch, "Mr. Diggory will have to rescue Miss Ashborn, Mr. Krum-Miss Granger, Miss Delacour- her sister, and Mr. Potter-Mr. Weasley."

"Professor," Hermione said, looking to Dumbledore whom she trusted more than Crouch, "are we allowed to decline?"

"You are allowed, yes, Miss Granger" Dumbledore said calmly, "but we'd prefer you not to do so. It is terribly late to find someone more important to Mr. Krum than you."

"I'm sure you could find someone." Ron said, under his breath. Hermione caught this.

"No," she said, looking to Ron but speaking to Dumbledore, "I think I'll stay."

"Anyone else object?" Crouch asked and no one responded, "Excellent."