Chapter 5: Face Off

Everyone's mouth dropped in shock. Katara was dumbfounded. How did she not realize it before now? Everything was beginning to look familiar. She needed space. Katara wandered into the woods. She found a pond and stripped down. She began to practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aang smiled as he looked at Maya. The two had walked into the woods together to practice their bending. After Chief Chong Lee and Sokka had decided the course of action, Aang decided he wanted to get to know the girl who had batted her eyes at him through their entire meeting. He invited her into the woods after learning she was an earth bender.

"So, Maya, how long have you been bending?" Aang asked.

"For three years now, actually," she smiled.

"Wow I haven't been earth bending much longer than you!" Aang said.

"I'm not a master but I'm pretty good," Maya replied.

The two found an open spot and began their practice. They threw rocks all around the air and Maya even managed to sink Aang into the ground to his waist at one point. They were having a great time until Maya attempted to pick up a rock too big for her. She pushed it in the air and her eyes opened wide as soon as she realized her mistake. Aang also realized her mistake and used his airbending to reach her in time. He barely had her out of the way before the rock crushed the spot that she was standing in. Aang was holding her by the waist and looked down at her.

"You should really be more careful, Maya, you could've been hurt," he said concerned.

Maya looked down at his arms around her, "that's okay," she responded, "the avatar saved me."

Aang smiled down at her. She was so pretty. Her tan skin was soft to the touch. "May I?" he said. She nodded and stood on her toes to reach his face. He gently pressed his lips against hers for about five seconds before pulling away. She smiled at him and pulled him closer.

"Why don't you show me some of your water bending skills, avatar, I know just the spot," Maya said.

Aang agreed and she took his hand. Before long they came across a pond in the middle of the woods.

"Oh no, someone is already here," Maya said. "So much for our alone time."

Aang looked to see what she was talking about and sure enough there was a girl in the water. She was obviously a water bender. Aang watched the way the girl moved and a grin spread across his face.

"Don't worry, Maya, that's my friend Katara. She's really cool, you'll love her!" Aang said.

Maya huffed under her breath. She didn't want to share him. Not with another girl.

"Hey, Katara!" She heard Aang call.

She smiled and turned around. She had been waiting to see Aang all day. Her smiled turned around when she saw the girl standing next to him.

"This is Maya," he said introducing them.

Katara put on her fakest smile on her face. She would not show that she was jealous.

"Nice to meet you, Maya, I'm Katara," she said.

Maya looked Katara up and down, "Likewise."

Katara smirked, this new girl didn't seem to like her either. It wouldn't matter, Aang would choose Katara anyways. Wait, what? It wasn't a contest. She knew Aang had the right to choose whoever he wanted to be with. Maybe she was just thinking too far into it.

"Katara's an amazing waterbender," Aang said to Maya.

Maya didn't want Aang to know about her feelings towards the waterbender. She plastered on a fake smiled and turned to Katara, "You must be really good then. Especially to get a compliment from the Avatar!"

Katara bit her tongue. Rather than telling Maya just how good she was she let it go. Katara slowly came out of the water. Maya hid her gasp when she saw how beautiful Katara actually was.

"I'll see you later, Katara," Aang smiled.

"Bye, Aang," she responded with a small smile.

The two of them watched Katara walk away. Maya smirked up at Aang, "Let's play in the water." She grabbed his hand and winked at him as she pulled him in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katara walked backed to camp feeling different. Suki had said that Aang would really choose her no matter what but she wasn't so sure. She didn't like that Maya girl. It wasn't just because she was slightly jealous. Maya seemed like trouble. She didn't like the fact that she didn't refer to Aang by his name but rather as Avatar. She got back to camp before sundown. She sat in front of the fire by herself with her back facing camp. She heated her a cup of Ginseng tea to calm her nerves.

"That was always uncle's favorite," she heard a voice from behind her say.

She turned and broke into a huge smile as she took off running.

"Zuko!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hey guys! Don't forget to comment and vote!!