Chapter 15: The Resistance

Meanwhile

Katara walked down the path she had seemed to walk a million times. The fire nation was absolutely beautiful during this time of year. She saw the building where her meetings had been taking place come into view.  The building didn't have anyone else around as it usually did. As she got closer, she noticed a lone figure waiting on the steps. Focusing in, she recognized the hair and figure from behind. She took the water from her pouch and held it in shards above her face.

"What are you doing here," she demanded.

Maya spun around, tears streaming down her face as she recognized Katara.

"Katara, help me," she begged.

Katara inched closer, never letting the water fall from her grips.

"He found out I was with child and ran away from me. Has he been to see you? I wanted to work things out but...."

"Wait what?" Katara stopped her.

"Katara, I'm pregnant. Aang is going to be a father but he ran away as soon as I told him," she said, a fresh bout of tears flowing down her cheeks.

Katara felt like her head was spinning from what Maya told her. She couldn't really be pregnant could she? She must be lying. But come to think of it it might be possible with the way Aang was acting towards her.

"How far along?" She asked.

"Two months now," she sniffled.

"So why are you here in the Fire Nation," Katara asked.

" I was hoping I would be able to find him. When I couldn't find him I started to look for you. People told me I could find you here. Would you please help me talk some sense into him at least? I really need help but he doesn't want to see me." She pleaded.

Katara considered the girl's words before slowly nodding her head. She was hurting on the inside but she wasn't going to let Maya see that. She walked up to the girl and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.
"Come with me to complete my work for the day and then we'll go find Aang," she said.
Maya nodded in compliance and followed Katara into the building.

Later
The day ended shorter than plan and the two girls began to walk their way back to the palace. Maya hadn't done much but sit in a corner and cry the whole time Katara was working. They walked in awkward silence until Katara piped up.
"So when did you tell him?" Katara asked.

"Two weeks ago." She responded sadly.

That's odd, Katara thought. He must have done somewhere else before making the short trip to the Fire Nation to see her. She didn't even fully comprehend why Aang had exactly come to her. Had he come hoping to be with her or had he just wanted sex once before she found out about Maya's pregnancy?  She thought of the way he held her and kissed her like he never had before. She thought they were going to be together now. Tears brimmed in her eyes but she quickly wiped them away. He had hurt both her and Maya and he had to answer for his actions.

"Don't worry, he'll talk to you," Katara said, placing her hand on Maya's shoulder.

Maya nodded and looked around. "Did you hear that?" She asked.

"Hear what?" Katara responded, looking around with her.

"I think someone is over there," Maya said.

Katara pulled out her water and walked faster with Maya in tow. Whatever it was, she didn't want to meet it. They rounded a corner when they bumped into a large man. He was decked out in a red jumpsuit and had a mask covering the bottom of his face.

"Sorry, excuse us," Katara said as she began to walk around the man. He stepped to the side to block her.

"I said excuse us," she said a little louder, trying once again to walk around the man.
This time the man pushed his hands out and sent Katara and Maya flying backwards into the arms of more large men. They were all wearing the same red jumpsuits and masks. Katara recognized one of the men. He had been in one of the first areas she had gone to help. His loyalty to Firelord Ozai was one she suspected would not go away for a long time. The same man was now holding her.

"Look at this, the Avatar's little girlfriend," he said, sneering at her. He twisted her arm as Katara struggled to break free but the grip was too tight for her to move.

"Let us go!" She screamed trying to move away from the men. One of them held a cloth to her face until she felt dizzy. Her world was spinning before it all went black.