Chapter 15

Stalker Next Door
Chapter 15

Skai's POV

I'm sitting in my office going over case files, when Justin enters.

"Look Skai..." He starts

"Don't... it's okay. I just want you to know I'm not taking the case" I say

"Is this because I shouted at you? Look Skai in this business you have to be tough–" He starts and once again I cut him off.

"Look I'm not taking the case. Bear in mind that I am a freelance reporter; though I've become a full time employee I still maintain my independence and the ability to exercise freedom over which cases I take. While it would have been a good first case with you guys. I am more for my safety than showing I have what it takes–I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Now if that's all get out of my office." I deadpan

He sighs and Says " I'm sorry I raised my voice at you." As he walks out.

"Just don't let it happen again"
I called after him.

As he leaves, I sink into my chair again and I'm interrupted by a knock at the door. Before I invite them in the door opens. I'm about to castigate whoever it is. When I look up it is a new face I've never seen. I can instantly tell she's shy by the way she lingers in the doorway. She's wearing a Black knee length suit dress coupled with a royal blue blazer and shoes to match. I instantly soften my appearance and offer her a smile. Which she returns. I look at her, willing her to speak and when she does her voice is barely audible.

"I am Ariana, your new assistant,is there anything I can do for you" I look at her. She's still standing by the door fiddling with her fingers. So I offer her seat 

"Have a seat Ariana" I say gesturing to an empty chair in front of my desk as she sits I add.

"Tell me about yourself?" I ask to try and make her feel more comfortable.

She welcomes the question and tell me about herself on a personal level, Not a professional  stiff conversation. Which I am really glad for, I think we'll get on well with each other while she's here. I listen as she tells me about her cat Miley and I share about Fluffy we bonded well over our pets. She  visibly becomes more comfortable so I gear the conversation back towards work.

"Has Jesse briefed you?" I ask

She looks at me confused so I elaborate.

"Ok ... so I guess not. Basically all I expect besides the regular filing, handling my itinerary, booking flights when necessary and all of that jazz. I also expect that if there is a problem you speak to me first. Also detach yourself from the people here you and I are the only person's to know certain things. Most days you won't have to dress up, Smart Casual usually does it however with this job you need to dress up sometimes. The people here can be very intimidating don't make them walk over you and lastly I normally drink coffee except for Mondays, you can bring me breakfast on..." I look at her she seems overwhelmed. "Oh sorry I'm rambling on, Sorry for bombarding you with some much information. Did you follow, Is there anything you disagree or would like to add?" 

I'm Rambling again  so I pause for her response.

She Nods, but doesn't speak. She seems to be having an internal struggle on whether to say it or not. I sit patiently waiting for her to speak.

"No, there's no problem except... I would much rather you call me Ari" she says meekly.

I nod quickly.

"Right Ari, pardon my formality. I am Skai by the way" I say 

"Is that all" I asked

"Yes I'll be leaving now, thank you" She offers her hand for a shake. Taking it I say.

"I look forward to working with you. It was nice meeting you. Do you know where your work station is?"

She assures me she does and with the smile leaves my office.

I start my  laptop  and get into checking my emails and Reviewing possible cases. As I get into the work flow Ari disrupts me.  

"Skai, There are some roses out here for you, Should I bring them in?"

Did Nathaniel send me flowers? He's so sweet my heart could just melt.

"Bring them in."

Its a Dozen red roses and A purple rose in the centre and in the most beautiful vase ever. It has the most beautiful leaf engraving and each leaf is filled with floating diamonds. It's absolutely enthralling. They cant be real, they must be Cubic Zirconia crystals nonetheless it so beautiful. I cant begin to think of how I'm going to thank him for this. A dozen red roses to say I love you and a purple rose to say he's fallen in love with me at first sight. I thank the delivery guy and tell him where to put it.  They're so beautiful. I feel so happy, I can't wipe the smile off my face as I search for the card. Instantly my smile falls and my giddy feeling subsides as I read the card.

You look beautiful today, My love

I see your hair is down for a change.

I like it.

I hope you love these. I picked them with you in Mind

                                                                                       Yours truly

                                                                                           Me

                                                                                        XOXO

A chill runs down my spine. It's him again. What does he want from me!

I feel so disgusted with myself for being moved by those flowers. I quickly glance around and take a scrunchie from off my desk and put my hair into a ponytail. I press the call button and start to lower the blinds  she comes in as I frantically move around the office to get to the windows and cover them all.

"Yes, What do you need" she asks 

"Take those flowers away, Toss them in the bin, do whatever. I just want them gone!" I say and wave her off. I really just want them gone from my sight.

"Why what's the matter, Don't you like them. They're so Pre–" She questions confused 

"JUST GET RID OF THEM!!" I yell abruptly cutting her off. She quietly takes them away and leaves me alone. Alone with my thoughts.

Why has he resurfaced? Why me? What did I do to deserve this. It's so creepy, doesn't he understand that. Is he always just watching me. Twelve red roses and one purple. What was he trying to pull? 

13 roses means a secret admirer and the purple means enchantment.

Is this his sick way of saying he's under my spell. He has some way of showing it breaking into my house and following me around. Where does he get off. That is not showing affection. 

I try and fail to banish thoughts of this mysterious admirer and focus on my work. I struggle to get back to work. I just have an unsettling feeling I can't identify. I don't fear him which is strange. It's almost like I trust him not to hurt me? why, because he said he wouldn't ... something must be wrong with me.

I can't just ignore him and hope he goes away. Can I ?

Should I tell Nathaniel about this? No I don't want to scare him off. But maybe he could protect me. Protect me from what or who. I don't even know who this is. 

What do I Know?

I know I'm being followed and I know that he has no intention of hurting me.

and for some reason I trust him not to.

******

Thank You For Reading 

Hope you're enjoying it so far 

Don't be a stranger drop a comment. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Love

Alle