Chapter 3

Daido was on the northern border of Tokyo. Lately it was getting more and more often that the City Security Corpse were summoned to one of the city borders. By the looks of it something shady was happening, as the news of the City Security spending days and nights on the borders were nowhere to be found.

It was already a second night that Daido was spending away from home, and all he could think about were his wife and three daughters. He was on the watch, but the night was very quiet and so far uneventful, that he decided that taking out and looking at the photo of his family wouldn't cause any problems. Just as he started to relax while looking at his wife, Kiwa's, face, he heard it. Someone was screaming in panic and the thuds of bare feet running was echoing in the bamboo forest in front of Daido. He immediately pressed the intruder button, which sent signal to everyone in his unit.

After about thirty seconds a girl in torn and dirty clothes appeared from the darkness of the forest at night. Her hair was a mess and her feet were bloody and bare.

"Stop! Who are you?" Daido shouted at the girl.

The only response that came were the girl's incoherent and panicked screams. Three more guards came running towards Daido.

"What is happening?" Asked Hiroyuki. He was the youngest member of the guard and Daido wondered many times how come they accepted him to the City Security Corpse at such a young age.

Daido pointed at a girl, "She was running and screaming through the woods."

"So you are telling us that the intruder is this girl? She looks like she couldn't even slap you, let alone cause some trouble." That came from Matt. He was one of the rare non Japanese people who was in the CSC and didn't have any ruling position. He was very arrogant and acted as if he was the boss of every group, despite the fact that he was less experienced and a bigger coward than anyone else in the CSC.

Daido frowned, "I am telling ya. There is something wrong with her... aren't you getting the chills just by looking at her?'

"Daido-san is right, there is an ominous feeling in the air." That was Makoto, he was Daido's good friend and they joined the CSC at the same time.

The girl started screaming again and this time she started running up the hill where four men were standing. Suddenly she jumped with immense power and landed right on top of Matt. She was hitting him with such force that you could hear his nose, ribs and arm break. He was screaming in pain and agony, while other men tried to take the girl off of him. Hiroyuki was the one who pressed the emergency button which was right next to the intruder button on the long jackets which everyone from the CSC was wearing at all times.

Makoto and Hiroyuki grabbed the girl's arms and took her off of Matt, and Daido approached her from the front. He was the one who was doing most interrogations in the city, and he knew how to make people talk.

"Why are you doing this? We don't want to harm you, we are not your enemy!"

The girl was still screaming screams of anger and frustration, the other two men had trouble holding her, and they clearly had to put all of their strength in. Matt was grunting on the floor. Daido pressed the medical help button, and he grabbed the girls face and lifted it to make her look at him.

To his horror, the girls eyes were red. To be specific, her whites were red and her once brown eyes were hazy, but the look in her eyes was the one of complete terror and helplessness.

Daido was amazing at interrogating people, but he had never interrogated a monster before. He hadn't encountered a person who was infected by the pandemic in two decades, animals yes, but not humans. He let go of her chin and stepped back. He was never so close to yajū, and seeing her terrified eyes, he started to wonder if everything that they have been told is really true.