~ Chapter 18 ~

Please read authors note at end of chapter.

"I can't believe you guys left without telling me where you were going and then not answer your phones."

At the sound of a voice, my head whips up to see a slightly disturbed Cash. I watch his gaze zero in on Sterling's hand on my arm and his eyes narrow ever so slightly.

Sterling must of seen it because he lowers his hand.

"Sorry man, Liberty and I needed some time alone." Sterling explains.

Cash clenches his jaw and nods, "I can see that. I'll leave you two alone then." Bitterness dripping from his voice.

"Man come on, don't be like that." Sterling says, standing up.

"No, its okay. I'll leave." Cash turns to leave but Sterling grabs his arm. Cash turns his head and stares Sterling down threatening him to back down but he doesn't

I have no idea what to do but pray they don't fight.

***********

And now for the feature presentation!

I watch as Sterling and Cash stare each other down, neither wanting to back down. I chew on my lip, not knowing what to do.

Finally, I speak up, the tension accumulating to a point where I couldn't take it anymore, "Cash. Sterling. Stop, please!"

Surprisingly, they both look at me.

"Oh, I didn't think you would listen to me. Now I don't know what to do." I give a small smile. I watch Cash's eyes soften and Sterling's shoulders relax, making my smile grow.

The sound of a ringing bell, signifying the end of class, fills my ears.

"Dang!" I jump, grabbing my stuff, "I've got to get to the gym! I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"We'll walk with you," Cash calls out, following me, "We're going that way anyways."

I stop and look at him. He doesn't need to come to the gym with us.

Seeing the question on my face, Cash continues, "I rode with Sterling so I need to wait for him."

Nodding, we walk to the gym, stopping outside the gym lockers. The guys could already be heard inside the lockers, slamming doors, shouting and talking to one another.

I stare down at my stuff then at the locker room, my stomach turning with butterflies.

"Lib, you okay?" Sterling asks.

I look up at him and shake my head. "I'm terrified. I mean, how would you feel if halfway through the year some random guy comes, joins the team then a week later they become co-coach and start telling you what to do! I would be so mad."

"I see that and I agree, I would probably be mad." Sterling replies, "But, if Coach and the Principal both agree that you should co-coach, you must be good to have received that position. Most of the girls on the squad are chill but I think the best thing you could do, is show them what you can do."

"Isn't that like showing off?" I question.

"It's not showing off if you're good." Cash adds.

We both look at him, surprised.

"He's right. Show them what you can do, show them that you earned that position and that you belong there." Sterling confirms.

I look at them with a newly found determination, "You guys are right. I earned that position and I belong there."