Chapter Five-Team of Drama Queens

Chapter Five

Team of Drama Queens

Whatever It Takes-Imagine Dragons

The next two weeks are some of the suckiest in my life, and I've had some sucky weeks. Things are relatively normal around the facility, but I spend most of my time in my office, my room, or outside. They're the places Loki is least likely to show up at. I've barely caught a glimpse of him since he walked out of my room that morning, but maybe things are better that way. My work at the strip club has stopped. I never went back after the night Loki crashed the place and I haven't heard a word from David about it, so I figured I was fired. It's just as well, I've surrounded myself with more than enough work at the facility so my thoughts aren't swamped by thoughts of someone else. The team has no idea why I'm so pissy, excepting Pepper and Tony, of course. Unsurprisingly, Tony is good at keeping secrets when Pepper is around to threaten him into submission. Right now, I'm on my second walk around the facility since it's such a nice day out and I see a golden retriever personified heading over towards me.

"Hey, Steve." I greet him affectionately. Since Steve has always been a caring, sarcastic, drama queen, we clicked instantly. We became close friends from the moment I challenged him to an arm wrestling contest and won by kicking him in his jewels. Ah, true friendship.

"Hey. You on your second round?" He asks, not even slightly out of breath from running. Damn those super soldier genes. I nod, gesturing to the area around us.

"Yeah. I thought this day earned two laps since it's so beautiful out today." I explain as he falls into step beside me.

"I'm just glad you're out and about. Thought maybe you'd barricaded yourself in your office so we could stop interrupting you to bring you irritating things like food and water." He sasses with a little smile on his face, but I can see the real concern in his baby blues.

"Very funny. At least I've never fallen so in love with a freezer I wanted to become one." I sass back and he laughs dryly.

"Right. Those ice jokes never get old." He drolls and shoots me a little side eye.

"Well, not as old as you, but still..." I continue, smiling genuinely for the first time in a while. He sighs, but I can see the corners of his mouth lift up.

"Anyways, I didn't know if you've been briefed yet, but your crooked senator was caught at that address you gave Taylor." He informs me and I stop in my tracks, slapping his bicep.

"What? When?" I ask, needing to know every detail now.

"Yesterday. There was a transfer of goods from his car to another, but we haven't been able to take down the car and find out what they were yet. This is good news though. It's definitely a step to taking him down." Steve congratulates me as I go through everything in my head. Sighing, I nod. "Okay, why are you disappointed? This is why we do the job." He asks, unsure of my reaction.

"I wish I had been there! I've been working on this case for almost a year and a half! I worked at that stupid club for fucking months and I have to hear second hand what happened with my findings!" I partially shout. Steve sets his heavy hands on my shoulders, knowing the gentle weight calms me down the quickest.

"Calm down. The team has been giving you space so you don't murder them. You've been on a work rampage lately." He tells me gently and firmly. I scoff.

"I can't murder any of you." I mumble and start walking again to work off the excess emotions.

"We both know that if you got determined enough you absolutely could. Maybe excepting Natasha." He teases me slightly and gets a little smile out of me. Who knew being said you could murder the Avengers would be such a mood booster?