*One*

If we start walking now, we should be there in two days, or even less." Rogue mentioned, examining a map of Fiore.

The sun was already setting with pink and orange colors painting the clouds.  Zephyre was growing more nervous by the second, her guard raising as the light of the sun was dimming.

"Can we just get a room at the inn for the night and set out tomorrow morning?" She asked nervously, Frosch already drifting into the sleep realm in her arms.

“We'd just be wasting time." The young man shook his head.

"I- I guess so..." She sighed, but the worry in her crystalline eyes never faded.

Thus, the three of them followed a path into the woods, where shadows stretched across the ground.  The sun was no longer visible over the tree-tops.

Zephyre was shaking, startling the sleeping creature in her arms.  "What's wrong?" Rogue asked with concern in his voice.

"N- nothing!" She stuttered defensively.  The sound of a twig snapping somewhere in the woods caused her to jump.

"Are you... afraid of the dark?" He questioned, stifling a chuckle.

"Of course not!" She answered much too quickly.

"You are, aren't you?" Rogue gave a short laugh.

"S-so what if I am?!" The girl pouted.  "Some creepy things happen in the dark."

"It's just shadows." He chuckled.  "You're getting worked up over nothing."

"Shadows are the same as darkness.  They conceal the bad things that are bound to happen." She said bitterly, stopping Rogue's laughter and making his smile waver for a moment.

"Actually, I think shadows aren't bad at all.  They're just a reflection of someone or something.  And in some cases, shadows can even be used to protect comrades and friends." Rogue smiled kindly, but a hint of sadness was in his voice as he met Zephyre's diamond-like eyes.

"How can that be true?" Zephyre rolled her white orbs.

Rogue lifted his hand and a vortex of dark matter swirled within it.  "Well, I have Shadow Dragon Slayer Magic.  I only wish to use it to protect my friends."

The girl stepped back, a shocked expression on her face.  When the Dragon Slayer saw this, the shadows in his hand evaporated and his crimson eyes showed slight pain.

"I'm not going to hurt you, if that's what you're worried about." He assured, but didn't step closer to her.

Rogue's Magic looked a lot like the Magic that had scarred her twelve years ago, and she was horrified.

Frosch wiggled in Zephyre's arms and slid to the ground sleepily.  It stumbled over to the young man tiredly and asked, "What's going on?" in a slurred voice.

However, he didn't look away from the girl's terrified eyes.  "I... can't go to Sabertooth with you." She choked on her words and ran back towards the town as though her life was in danger.

When Zephyre could see the lamplight of the town ahead of her, she was brought the ground, confined by a small net.  She screeched as it fell on top of her.  She quickly used her magic to cut herself free from the rope.

But it wasn't quick enough.  The large man from the gang she had defeated early stood over her, with bandages covering his face.

"You damn woman..." He growled as he swung his metal bat at her head.

Zephyre cringed, waiting for the impact of the weapon, but it never came.  Instead, she felt warm, strong arms envelope her from behind.  When she opened her crystal-colored eyes, she found herself pulled against Rogue's chest as his hand that wasn't holding onto her was keeping the bat from smashing her skull.