Chapter 8: Weird Rescue

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Okay, here you go! Next chapter! I also should have a companion piece started in the next couple days, so keep an eye out for KWAMI ARE [NOT] COUNSELORS which is meant to go alongside this story.

=====

Nathaniel Kurtzberg

If someone had asked Nathaniel earlier that year, heck, earlier that week, whether he would ever take Chloe's side in an argument against Marinette's friends the answer would have been a straight no. Not only had he always known Chloe as a horrible bully; but Alya was more frightening if he were honest. So it should have been a no brainer to stay completely silent as he normally would, and observe in hopes that Chloe would get what was coming.

Except this time Chloe wasn't being a bully. She wasn't exactly being nice, but she was giving it a shot in the best way she knew how. She had practically quoted the advice he'd given her the night before (well, the advice Paon Mystique gave her).

Her real mistake was starting with Alya to begin with. Rose would have been a better choice, she was gentle and more accepting. Marinette would be good if Alya wasn't around. Despite her history with the blonde, he had a feeling Mari would be able to see and accept a genuine effort.

His attempts vouch for Chloe hadn't done any good, Alya just assumed he was an idiot being fooled by some pathetic act. If he hadn't known better, he might have agreed.

The fiery blogger suggested that HE be the third on the school project team for Chloe and Sabrina (who had been trying to 'convince' Alya herself to join them). He was a bit surprised. When Chloe decided that he would in fact be on their team, he was stunned. All he could do was trail after the two girls in an awkward silence.

"Get your bag. We're working at my table," Chloe directed, not a hint of politeness to be found.

Nathaniel just sighed and went to grab his bag. He really wished it was the Chloe he had met as La Paon Mystique that he was dealing with. The sensitive, vulnerable Chloe who wanted to be nicer; who wanted to make friends and understood that her behavior was wrong. Habits really were hard to change.

"Oh," Chloe dropped her volume and the red haired boy looked over his shoulder at her, brow quirked. Her face looked like she had something vile in her mouth...a taste she couldn't spit out, "Am I supposed to say thanks or something? For believing me ...I mean, anyone with a brain would, so you must not be a total moron..."

"Uh...I think I get it..." Nathaniel winced at her feeble attempt at gratitude, "And you're welcome?"

He honestly wasn't sure if he really understood. Was she actually thanking him? He thought so...but it was a bit hard to tell with this new, transitional, Chloe.

As Nathaniel grabbed his bag, he heard Duusuu speak softly from inside, "Wow...you were right. She is mean. It's a good thing she has you now."

A blush flashed across Nathaniel's face at the comment. Talking to his satchel in the middle of the classroom was bound to seem bizarre, so he couldn't exactly tell the little Kwami, but he hated the way she had said that! It sounded awkward, like there was way more to the situation than there really was. All Paon had done was give advice! Any other conversational...additions...we're just acting. Trying to seem like a hero, to not be too much like himself.

He settled in at Chloe's table, in the small bit of seating he could find once she and Sabrina were happily spread out. The topic of conversation when he joined them caused him to choke on his own breath.