Chapter 1 : A Peculiar Oversight

ADRIEN AGRESTE

The moonlight shone over Paris, casting its romantic glow upon the Eiffel Tower where two masked figures sat talking after patrolling the city. Well, one of them would have described the atmosphere as romantic at least.

Chat Noir's vibrant green gaze lingered on Ladybug as she looked out over the town; talking about something to do with the Miraculous. Probably just how badly Hawkmoth wanted them; and that they should be really careful yadda yadda. Even though the cat themed hero knew he should be paying attention, he couldn't stay tuned into the actual words.

No, her voice was too sweet, her image highlighted by the moon too beautiful...and all of it too heartbreaking. She'd already rejected him...told him she loved some other boy. Lucky guy. Seriously, did the guy she liked so much even know about her feelings? If not...she should tell him. It wasn't like the guy could ever turn her down...she was purrfection. He smiled a bit at his mental pun. Classic.

"So, that's the gist of it, Chat." Ladybug sighed, finally looking up only for her blue bell eyes to meet those that had been staring at her. The blond blinked and tried to look as if he'd been listening the whole time; putting on his most attentive face. The spotted heroine frowned; "You weren't even paying attention, were you?"

"Ah...no," Chat had been about to insist he was, indeed, focused; but decided to just admit defeat, "In my defence, My Lady, you are very distracting in this lighting..."

"But I'm what you're supposed to be focused on!" She balked at his excuse, adding gestures to somehow emphasize her point. When all she got in return was a sheepish grin; she groaned and covered her face with a hand in exasperation, "Okay, Kitty, I'm repeating this one more time...so listen carefully!

"Remember Rena Rouge, and how she came to help us?" She looked at Chat expectantly as she paused, and didn't continue until he nodded, repeating Rena's name to show he was listening, "Right, so she was allowed to come help temporarily, but I had to get the Miraculous back afterward...if you can think of anyone we can trust with any of the remaining Miraculous in the same way, I want you to keep them in mind. Just in case.

"You...you don't have to tell me who. To protect our identities it might be best if you didn't." She paused again, this time thinking of Rena's real identity, and how if Chat knew it, it may put her own identity at risk, "But just think of people you would trust to use the power of a miraculous, and then willingly return it."

"Alright," Chat replied, already pulling together a very short list in his head. He didn't have enough friends to make it any longer. In his mind he was trying to recall the super heroes that had been in his father's book. Three so far had been miraculous holders, so he was willing to bet the rest were too. That meant besides Ladybug, Chat Noir, and Rena Rouge; there would be a turtle, a peacock, a bee and a...a butterfly. So, Hawkmoth was the butterfly. That made absolute sense! He would like to get another look at his father's book, but he wasn't sure he could just ask...

Suddenly Chat went stiff. When he had been thinking about the vault, and the book inside; something else flashed in his mind, "He had one..."

"What?" Ladybug looked up at her partner in confusion. His voice had been a mumble, and she hadn't quite caught what he'd said.

"Uh...n-nothing! I just remembered that...I thought I saw something interesting in this place I was at once...can't tell you, civilian identity and stuff..." Chat scratched the back of his head, and grinned in a totally unconvincing way.

"Two of the miraculous are missing, you know that, right?" Ladybug prodded gently, "Whoever you're protecting, I get it. I lied not too long ago myself to someone because I was afraid someone I care about would look bad if I told the truth..."