Only You

It was a sight to behold; the short brunette, marching fiercely across campus in her combat boots, a letter clutched in hand.

She tried not to overthink things as she walked, but when she stopped at Joey's front door she paced for a good ten minutes psyching herself up. And then another five as her hand hovered at the door while she listed all the reasons that this was a very bad idea.

But she'd come all the way over here, and the situation couldn't get any worse than it already was, so she took a deep breath and knocked at the door.

1 second.

2 seconds.

3 se-

The door swung open, revealing Joey standing there with his hair tousled as though he'd not long gotten out of the shower. His face transformed into one of slight surprise at seeing Lauren on his doorstep, but he smoothed it over and looked steadily at her.

"Hey," she said.

"Hi."

"I have to tell you something."

"Okay," he said, emotionless.

She tucked her hair behind her ear anxiously, opened her mouth, and then froze. "You know what, nevermind," she said, backing away, the nerves overcoming her.

She could live with being alone forever if it meant that she never had to go through this stomach churning, mouth drying feeling.

"Woah woah woah woah. What's that in your hand?" Joey asked, gesturing to the letter.

She clutched it tighter. "Oh, uh, nothing," she said, and hid the paper behind her back.

"Oh, it's nothing," he said, raising his eyebrows, clearly - and understandably - unconvinced.

He took two long strides towards her and reached around behind her, enclosing her in his personal space for the briefest moment before he grabbed the letter from her and took a small step back. His eyes scanned the page for a few moments. Then he handed it back to her.

"No, you know what, if you want me to read that then you need to give it to me."

Lauren exhaled deeply in frustration. Of course he wouldn't make it easy for her. But she couldn't just give him the letter and stand there waiting anxiously while he read it. She had to do this herself.

"Umm... can you turn around? Please?" She couldn't do it with his eyes on her. Thankfully, he obliged.

"Dear Joey," she began, reading from the letter. "I need you to know that-"

No. Screw the letter, she thought. She was done with love letters.

She tapped Joey on the shoulder, and he spun around to face her.

"I need you to know that I like you, Joey Richter. And not in a fake way." She took a deep breath and clenched her fists nervously, waiting for a response. But nothing. 

"And so, I guess that's all I came here to say," she finished dejectedly, a crease appearing between her brows as she got ready to turn around, go back home, and try to forget this humiliation.

"Woah woah woah, don't I get to say something?" Joey said.

She pressed her lips together and looked up at him through her eyelashes.

He stared at her for a moment, searching her face.

"I'm in love with you, Lauren Lopez. Only you."

Lauren smiled, soft and slow, but gradually it turned into a grin. She couldn't believe what she'd just heard.

"You what?" she asked.

Joey's face split into the most adorable dorky grin, and he leaned towards her, his head tilting.

"You gonna break my heart, Lopez?"

She shook her head ever so slightly as he ducked his head to kiss her. She took a step forward so she was pressed up against his chest and pulled his arms around her, then put her own arms around his neck.

His lips parted hers and she knew what people meant when they described a person as being like home, because being in Joey's arms and kissing his lips made her feel safe and warm and happy. It was exactly where she belonged.

She wondered what the scene must look like, the two of them stood kissing in his doorway. But she was too distracted to worry about it that much.

Joey must have had the same thought, though, because he pulled away, but gave her the most gorgeous smile, his nose scrunching up in a way that gave her butterflies.

They stared at each other for a few moments, letting the feeling sink in that finally, finally this was real.

"As much as I'd love to continue this," Joey said breathlessly. "I'd rather not do it on my doorstep in full view of everyone."

Lauren smirked. "I agree."

He looked into her eyes, and that seemed to make up his mind because he grabbed onto her hips and lifted her up. Lauren didn't even let the shock register, she wrapped her legs immediately around his waist as he carefully walked them back inside his apartment. Their lips met again as soon as the door closed behind them.

A/N And that's the end! Thank you all so much for reading this and for all your amazing comments, and thank you as usual to tillytytroyesivan for always being an absolute inspiration and never leaving me lacking in Richpez feels ❤️