Chapter 10

Several knocks on my door made me sit up as I was laying down. There was no jobs today, so I decided to save my energy for the following day. I walked towards the door and opened it to find Shirula standing on the other side, a wooden tray in her hands.

"Morning!"

I smiled at her, and took the tray from her hands.

"Oh, thanks!"

I looked at the tray and noticed a plate, a bowl and two cups. I looked back to her and saw her usual, friendly smile perched on her lips, although I noticed the faint blush on her cheeks. She started to fidget because I did not say anything for quite a while, so I stepped to the side, letting her in. She gave me a wide smile, and walked inside the room.

"Hope I'm not being too pushy."

I shook my head and smiled at her.

"No... After all that happened, I do not know what would happen to me if I were left with my own thought."

I put a hand on her head, and ruffled her hair; a gesture she seemed to enjoy. She lets out a low purr and closed her eyes as if enjoying the sensation of my hand. She was quite embarrassed the first time, but I suppose she's grown even more attached to me. I stopped ruffling her hair, and pulled one of the chair for her.

"Let's enjoy our meal, shall we?"

Shirula nodded, and sat down on the chair. I pushed the chair closer to the table, and sat down on the chair opposite to her.

"Let's eat!"

Shirula grabbed her spoon, and started eating the pasta-like dish. I smiled at her, and started eating my chicken consomme.

"How can you survive eating so little?"

I looked at Shirula, who is already done eating. I smiled and put the spoon in my bowl.

"I am more surprised that such a delicate looking girl can eat something that looks so heavy first thing in the morning."

Shirula flexed her right arm and held her right upper arm with her left hand.

"I need the energy to get through the day! Being an innkeeper is tough, you know?"

I smiled at her and continued eating silently. Shirula rested her elbows on the table, and supported her head with her hands as she looked at me eat. It was not such an unfamiliar feeling though, but something about it brought back some bad memories.

Forget it... forget her... This is your life now. Do not let the memories of your past life prevent you from becoming happy...

I kept on repeating those words inside my mind, over and over again. I broke out from my daze when Shirula held my right hand. Her expression clearly told me that she was concerned.

"Darone... you looked really sad again..."

I covered my eyes with my left hand, and sighed. I closed my eyes and massaged my temple.

"Was I? I am sorry. I remembered something unpleasant."

Shirula's grip tightens, and she brought my head closer to her chest. The soft feeling I felt on the right side of my head and the sound of her heartbeat calmed me down. I closed my eyes, and entrusted myself to her.

"Darone... you are strong... Very strong... I don't know what it feels to see my hometown burn, but I know I won't be able to stand up and face the future for years on end..."

She circled her arms around my head, and held it tight. She patted my head a few times, running her small hand through my dry hair. She rested her cheeks on my head, and kept speaking in a slow and gentle tone.