Chapter 22

We have been following the map for four days, and after passing through the forest, we finally found a dirt road.

"There it is. The city."

Myr pointed toward the city in the distance. I can hear my companions sigh audibly.

"Although only four days had passed, I felt like I have been traveling for months..."

One of the Elves in our group let out a big sigh. I understand her sentiment. Although it was of our own volition to take the shortest path available, none of us expected the journey to be so arduous.

"Ye can tell me about that, lass. I've been hankerin' for a good pint meself."

A Dwarf rubbed his beard as he laughed merrily. The Elf nodded in agreement. A small smile appeared on my face as I quietly discard my preconception of Elves and Dwarves being at odds with each other.

"Darone..."

I turned my head to Karla as she tugged on my sleeve. I understood her worries, and put a hand on hers.

"Do not worry..."

I turned to look at the group and noticed they've already prepared themselves for whatever it is that will be coming.

"I will be speaking with the city lord first. I will meet you all again before sun down."

They all nodded, albeit reluctantly. I cannot blame them. Their desire to save our people was as strong as mine, but I knew somewhere in their heart, they still think this was a trap. I gave them a reassuring nod, and put on a hood.

Approaching the gate, I can see that it was oddly quiet, and it was heavily guarded. It was as if they were preparing themselves for war. Though I do not want to doubt Myr, their movements were quite odd. The guards noticed me as I approached, and took position.

"Sir, I will have to ask you to turn back. The city is in lock down, and no one can enter, or leave."

I stopped in my track and spoke, loud enough to let them all hear me.

"Please, will you not let me inside? I am here to speak with the city lord!"

The guards were understandably on guard after I said that.

"What business do you have with the city lord? I am afraid he will not be receiving any guests."

I closed my eyes and slowly raised my hands. I slowly uncloaked my hood, and understandably, the guards were shocked. Fortunately their shock did not turn into hostility, as they lowered their spear. The guard commander, the one who has been talking to me, quickly approached me.

"Are you here to seek refuge? Are there more of you?"

His tone had become much warmer than before. I nodded my head, and smiled toward him.

"My companions are waiting for me in the forest over there. Will you not let them inside as well?"

The guard commander nodded, and gestured some of the guards to come.

"Please bring your companions with you here. I will have them escort you though, I hope you understand."

I nodded as I bowed my head.

"Thank you. I will also be glad if you can arrange me a meeting with the city lord."

The guard commander hummed for a moment before nodding.

"I will see what I can do. For now, please enter the city with your companions."

I nodded to the guard commander and went to the forest again with four guards. It was understandable when the others put their guard up the moment they see my escort, but after explaining the situation, they become much more relaxed. We went to the gate, and the guards welcomed us quite warmly.