Chapter 7

The sounds of wooden swords clashing against each other echoes through the silent village. The sun have yet to rise, but the three of us was already up and about. Surprisingly, the one who suggest we wake up early and train were the twins. In a way, their initiative makes me happy.

"What's wrong Sharna? Your attacks are becoming duller! Luana, stop focusing on my sword! I have three other limbs that can knock you off your feet!"

The dull thud of woods kept echoing through the village until the sun rose up. In front of me was two girls, sitting on the ground gasping for air.

"As always, we can't land a hit on you, huh?"

I shrugged and sat down beside them.

"The two of you lack training. In due time, you will become stronger."

Sharna looked at her sister with a cheerful expression, and grinned. Sharna's happiness was contagious, and Luana and I couldn't help but to smile with her.

"Now then, the two of you should wash yourself. We have a long day ahead of us."

Just as we stood up to our feet, a loud, ominous roar echoed through the village. I reflexively stood in front of the two, and focused my hearings. The roar echoes once more, and I found out that it was coming from the mountains.

"Go. Now. I shall inform the chief about this."

The twins were afraid, but they put on a brave face, and nodded.

"Then we'll go around the village and check around if there's anyone that needs our help."

I smiled at the two, and nodded. The two grabbed their weapons, and ran to the village.

"Now then..."

I ran toward the chief's house, and knocked on the door impatiently.

"Grandpa, grandma! Please open the door!"

I can hear hurried footsteps from behind the door, before the door swung open. Behind it, I can see a concerned grandma Riula, and relieve washed over her expression as she saw my face.

"Darone, I cannot tell you how relieved I am to see you! Come, the village chief awaits you."

I nodded, and walked inside the house. The village chief was already sitting down with ten other demons, and they all had a grim expression on their face. The village chief's face lit up as he saw me, and beckons me to come closer. I sat down in front of him, and he grunted as he rubbed his chin.

"Young Darone, I am happy to see you. Now then..."

The village chief nodded to the other demons, and started talking.

"That roar belongs to the beast of the mountains. He was already living there even before I was born, and in my life, I have only heard that roar twice, this being the second time."

The village chief closed his eyes, and sighed.

"That time, when I was still a young imp, everyone in the village forbade the entry to the mountains for almost ten years, waiting, hoping that the beast would stop its rampage. Luckily the beast never did come to our village, but the damage it caused to the surrounding area sent horror into the heart of even the demon lord's army."

The village chief scratched his balding head, and closed his eyes.

"I can only hope that our village will be spared from its rampage once again, but no one, even I don't know when its anger will subside."

My hands curled into a tight fist, and I nodded to the village chief.

"Then will you not send me there to check on the situation?"